Aluminum head question...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Ok guys, these questions may sound stupid, but this is my first go-around w/ aluminum heads, so bear with me...

Can I use copper header gaskets?
Do I need any special head gaskets?

I plan to use a valley plate for the first time,

where can I get a set of intake gaskets that isn't a valley tray?
How do you seal the valley plate?
I assume there has to be a bead or RTV along the surface that meets the head as well as where it meets the block? Does it use gaskets?

Thanks!

Sounds like a set of BB heads...

Are they the ones that had roller springs on them by chance?

Copper head gasket will work. The only ones that you really need to steer clear of are steel shim style.

There are better head gaskets to use than others. Cometics are very good. I've seen some other style start to weep after a while from differing block/head expansion rates. I've used cometic, ROL, Fel Pro, whatever, they all work.

Valley trays work well as long as you can get them to seal properly. What type of head? Use silicone to seal it up. Right stuff is very good.

Sorry, I guess I left some info out.

They're Eddy heads, and yes, BB heads.

I'll just use normal Felpro head gaskets if there is no issue there.

I meant is it alright to use copper header gaskets?

Fel-Pro's or similar would be my preference. I think if you go copper you need to have the block o-ringed (wire type) to create a compression seal and copper is sometimes harder to seal fluids with. If you go copper I would consider using the Flatout rubber coated copper ones as they are desigend to seal better.

I used a combo of the RCC copper and the Felpro racing for my current smallblock with eddies (ended up with closed chamber heads and domed pistons so this created the quench clearance I needed). The Felpro's have the wire ring for sealing so I didn't have to o-ring. I have only put about 50 miles on the combo but they seem to be holding well and have no leaks.

-
Back