Aluminum heads and steel shim gaskets ?

-

alex perini

Reaction score
I have a 440 I'm installing e street heads on 75cc chambers was wondering if I could use the smaller .20 shim gaskets on aluminum heads ?

Edelbrock recommends the Fel-pro performance gaskets.

My machinist told me not to use steel shim on my E-Street heads because the heat / expansion are different & a steel shim can't seal during the heat cycles.

Agree, the thermal expansion rates are very different. Don’t use the steel.

Cometic or like MLS, it's what all OE's settled on to fix Their Al-U-minimum on iron problems..............................

Multi layer steel. I took the rivets out and coated every later with spray on copper coat. Held up fine on every engine so far. Had one MLS problem motor. X block with Batten heads no copper coat and dripped water when cold. As soon as I got heat in it the drip sealed.

We just did a 340 with Edelbrocks. used Felpro 1008's worked fine but only 10.5 compresion.

Some motors with boost and MLS My son cuts a ring under the fire ring and adds a inkinal wire . He just did a Cummins with that wire. Very common on pulling tractors

Yep, sprayed every shim gasket with copper-coat as well..............................

I've got 15,000 miles now on my 383 w/E-street heads using the Fel-Pro performance gasket edelbrock recommends.

Are you talking about the 1009 gasket ? Did you spray with copper as Well?

Yes, the 1009 Fel-Pro
No copper spray, they have a tacky feel to them when you pull them out, I dont pull them out or touch them to anything until the block is prepped/cleaned & ready to go together to ensure there are no contaminants on the gasket surface

-
Back