Aluminum intake clear coat?

-

JDMopar

Reaction score
What kind of clear have any of y'all shot a glass beaded aluminum intake with? I don't want it to yellow after I run it for a while. I need to do the D4B that is going on my 273 and don't want to have to do it over. Thanks!

It will all turn yellow over time, even the high temp stuff. I had one I cleared and never put on a engine turn yellow after several years in the garage!! Most people paint with aluminum colored spray paint.

I also will add Rust-oleum makes a fuel resistant silver. Both intakes sprayed.Holds up and cleans up well.

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

What kind of clear have any of y'all shot a glass beaded aluminum intake with? I don't want it to yellow after I run it for a while. I need to do the D4B that is going on my 273 and don't want to have to do it over. Thanks!
Here's what I used.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NPOCDE1650

Here's how it turned out. Still looks good after 5000 miles.

1692568551702.png

If you have a fine glass peen to do after the rough peen you can get it to almost polish and that will be easier to keep nice.

Not sure how it will wear over time, but I'm trying Volvo-Penta outdrive rattle can on this ugly old timer......

1692568369042.png

1692570191103.png

Have it Vapor Blasted . for whatever reason it will resist dirt and clean up better than a bead blasted peice.

Cleaning the outside of an old aluminum intake is all fine and good but, as mentioned, it doesn't usually last long. All that discoloration happens because aluminum is very porous; fuel and grunge essentially soak into the metal and embed over time with engine heat.

It has to be completely cooked out first for a few hours to bring all the trapped impurities to the surface, then get blasted, washed / dried thoroughly and quickly sealed with paint or powder to put a barrier between it and the things that cause future discoloration (exposure to the elements and fuel).

Restoring an intake well is a bit of work, and skipping any step merely earns you a few months before it starts looking like *** again. If you don't have a dedicated shop oven, find someone who does before you embark on trying to make it look better or it won't last. (Do NOT use your kitchen oven even if she's out of town for a few days ... EasyOff isn't gonna save it, or you, or that nasty smell, and I know you'd rather spend money on a new set of intake gaskets and RTV than on a new appliance.)

If you're going to do it at all, why not do it right the first time?

Gold members get a Labor Discount and military/law enforcement (past or present) save even more. I'd love to help!

Phoenix Specialty Coatings ~ Exceptional Custom Powder Coating

Thanks for the shout out @A56!

I'm thinking about having my brand new intake ceramic coated (like headers and exhaust). Thoughts?

lol, not doing it for heat.... thinking to protect the finish much like clearcoat or powdercoat.
Since it's never been used that's an option, but the materials are pricey (+/- $300 a gallon). If it is used and sprayed without outgassing, blasting and cleaning, all the old grunge will return underneath it ... and be sealed forever under a tough coat of ceramic. Choose wisely.

Cleaning the outside of an old aluminum intake is all fine and good but, as mentioned, it doesn't usually last long. All that discoloration happens because aluminum is very porous; fuel and grunge essentially soak into the metal and embed over time with engine heat.

It has to be completely cooked out first for a few hours to bring all the trapped impurities to the surface, then get blasted, washed / dried thoroughly and quickly sealed with paint or powder to put a barrier between it and the things that cause future discoloration (exposure to the elements and fuel).

Restoring an intake well is a bit of work, and skipping any step merely earns you a few months before it starts looking like *** again. If you don't have a dedicated shop oven, find someone who does before you embark on trying to make it look better or it won't last. (Do NOT use your kitchen oven even if she's out of town for a few days ... EasyOff isn't gonna save it, or you, or that nasty smell, and I know you'd rather spend money on a new set of intake gaskets and RTV than on a new appliance.)

If you're going to do it at all, why not do it right the first time?

Gold members get a Labor Discount and military/law enforcement (past or present) save even more. I'd love to help!

Phoenix Specialty Coatings ~ Exceptional Custom Powder Coating

Thanks for the shout out @A56!
You're welcome

For all the intakes I've sold in the last 10 years I just clean them up and rattle can them with Seymour Aluma Blast.

It makes them look like a brand new intake for $12

Tom

-
Back