Aluminum or cast iron intake?

-

DSG Duster

Reaction score
I have a small crack in the exhaust manifold on my '75 Duster. I'd like to get a used intake/exhaust unit to swap in. I have access to an aluminum setup from a '76 Dart Lite, but would like to know if it is prone to any problems, seeing as how there are two different metals involved. Or should I stick with an all cast iron unit? Performance & weight isn't a consideration, - cost & reliability is. What would be a reasonable price for each type? Thanks in advance, - Dale.

The only problem with alley intake is corrosion,if there is none, go for it,same intake buy lighter,+++,as long as its cheap,mrmopartech

aluminum intake and hedder if you have the chedder . thats the way i would go thats the way i will go btw lol One day

I'm not positive, but wasn't 76 a year that used the 2 piece welded aluminum intake? Maybe that was omly the 2bbl's. Either way, there are some less desirable ones. Send a PM to Slant Six Dan. He would know which ones to avoid for sure.

Cost and reliability wise, cast iron is the way to go.

If you can get an aluminum intake for the same price as cast iron, then I'd take the aluminum.

What do you mean by "access to"? Are they freebies? If you're overly concerned about the aluminum you could keep your cast iron intake and use the Dart exhaust manifold.

What do you mean by "access to"? Are they freebies? If you're overly concerned about the aluminum you could keep your cast iron intake and use the Dart exhaust manifold.
No "freebies" involved. I would really prefer to swap in an assembled intake/exhaust unit, rather than mix and match the two manifolds. - Dale

So is the Dart Lite a 1 or 2bbl manifold? I know there were issues with porous aluminum 2bbl manifolds, but unsure of the 1bbl. The two piece ones have a kinda rough ridge where they are welded together. The earlier 1bbl intakes look identical to that iron ones to me...but then you pick it up

-
Back