Aluminum Slant

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
Ok so it was warm today and I went to local pisk and pull to look around.I found a 62 Valiant with aluminum / 6 and push button auto .My question is what is it worth,should I buy it and build it for my 69 Dart,or put it back for a rainy day.I can get both engine & trans for about 250.00 and no it doesnt run but turns over by hand.What size would it be.

It should be a 225. GET IT!!!!! That is a steal!! Even if you dont build it, the block is worth it alone IMO. Those are getting harder and harder to find

ok so it was warm today and i went to local pisk and pull to look around.i found a 62 valiant with aluminum / 6 and push button auto .my question is what is it worth,should i buy it and build it for my 69 dart,or put it back for a rainy day.i can get both engine & trans for about 250.00 and no it doesnt run but turns over by hand.what size would it be.

buy it.

That'll be an aluminum 225. At one time I had five of them (now down to two). I used to like to call up the machine shop, tell them I was bringing in a Dodge 225 slant-6, and then walk in through their front door carrying the block in my two hands and say "Here's that Dodge 225 I called about; where do you want me to put it?". :toothy10:

Price is reasonable if it's a decent basis to work from, but before you go to the trouble and expense, pull the cylinder head and take a look at the condition of the cylinders and the inside of the block (it's an open-deck design; you'll be able to see right down into the whole of the block). If there's serious corrosion -- and there might well be -- the block will require expensive refurbishing to be usable. That doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't get it, just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.

Should you build it for your '69 Dart? That depends on what kind of buildup you have in mind. These engines live a long and happy life with stock compression, but they do not happily handle any kind of a substantial increase in compression; the special aluminum-engine-only head gasket is 1961 technology and there's (still) no updated one. Even if there were, the freestanding cylinder barrels are highly prone to shift-and-drift. Also, if you want to run it in front of an automatic trans in your '69, you'd either need a '66-'67 trans or a custom torque converter w/small '67-down nose on the front and '68-up splines on the back, or a '68-up crankshaft, or machine the '62 crank's counterbore 1/4" larger in diameter to accept the '68-up large-nose torque converter.

Lots of good threads over on slantsix.org about special builds on aluminum 225s. This one and this one are especially good, with tons of pics and descriptive text. There are others, too

Thanks Dan I guess ill see if I can go pull the head sometime this weekend.Do you know how much lighter it is than a cast iron one.

A cast iron RG (198/225) block weighs 134 pounds (plus or minus; this varied by production variant/date)

A cast iron LG (170) block weighs 114 pounds

An aluminum RG block weighs 64 pounds.

(See also here)

I've been a Mopar fan forever, and I never even heard of an all aluminum slant6.
Is the head aluminum too?

That is really cool.

George

also-- they might be rare & desirable-- but unloading one for profit is risky at best.. shipping & condition of that block are 2 big problems---- cool find--- Lawrence

also-- they might be rare & desirable-- but unloading one for profit is risky at best.. shipping & condition of that block are 2 big problems---- cool find--- Lawrence

sold mine just block and caps for 1K + COD...

I have one in my stock 62 Signet,paid $500 about five years ago.Guy had 6,I got to pick the best.Three were pretty much junk,two were just ok,and the one I got was choice.Guzzi Mark

I've been a Mopar fan forever, and I never even heard of an all aluminum slant6.
Is the head aluminum too?

That is really cool.

George

Yep...I have one in my 1962 Dodge Lancer GT...just like Dan! They are awesome!

There's one on EvilBay right now.

That's a first-version block (12 bosses for hydraulic-lifter oil feed…never drilled or used in production; all these engines had solid lifters and the bosses were eliminated from later blocks).

-
Back