Aluminum wheel cleaner

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
What are you guys using to clean your aluminum wheels? I hate cleaning my wheels so something that takes little effort would be perfect.

Wenol and hand buffing mostly. I do have a round type buffing wheel I put in my drill that helps a lot. I use the wheel to get the heavy stuff off first. I have to stay on top of them..... if I let them get dirty then I'll spend much time cleaning them. That's when the cussing starts. But good ole Wenol is what I use on my Weld Pro Stars.

Used this for years with great results.The more you use it,the better they stay polished,and get better every time you do it.

http://www.whitediamondpolish.com/

Lots of good products out there,this has been our best.Not much effort involved.I like that part of it!

I like "Mothers" brand. Pretty easy to use and a little goes a long way.

When I used to do truck shows,I used a product by California Custom called "The Original Purple Metal Polish" I buy at a big truck chrome shop and was really impressed by the results.

John

It doesn't do much if you're starting from scratch, but after cleaning them I spray on Meguirs Quick Detailer. I don't polish it, just let it dry on. The next time I wash them it's a breeze and I just spray on another coat. My '99 Dakota wheels look pretty close to new after 10 years...
C

We use eagleone's "never dull" polish on the wheels on our roadrunner. It involves a little work but nothing you couldn't handle. It pays off.... rear wheels looked great (this pick was taken a week or two after they were done).

100_0422.jpg

Anyone else with suggestions?

I been wanting to try something different for awhile. I have used Mothers, Nev-r-dull, and Wenol. The Wenol works best for me out of the three but that White Diamond is starting to look interesting. I like the less work part!

Anyone else with suggestions?

I been wanting to try something different for awhile. I have used Mothers, Nev-r-dull, and Wenol. The Wenol works best for me out of the three but that White Diamond is starting to look interesting. I like the less work part!

Yes, less work = more play!

Try the white diamond. I just recently got some and I like it a lot. I already have all of the other brands in the garage. I'm always looking for new stuff.

Is the White-Diamond truly less work than most other brands? Like you, my garage is also full of products that don`t work without blood, sweat, and tears. I`d like to get my wheels polished like new and then have them clear coated so I`d never have to spend another day polishing the damn things.

I did my wheels with it a couple months after they were new,they look better
now than they did new out of the box!Its more abrasive than your off the
shelf polishes but not too aggressive.You wont be dissapointed.

I did my wheels with it a couple months after they were new,they look better
now than they did new out of the box!Its more abrasive than your off the
shelf polishes but not too aggressive.You wont be dissapointed.

OK..... I going to order some right now. I'm about out of Wenol and the other crap is all dried up. LOL!

Spring is around the corner you know.

Longgone I'll let you know how it works.

I have had really good results with Bush's Aluminum Polish.A lot of the 18 wheeler guys use this on their wheels.I get mine from the local motorcycle dealer.....This stuff works very easy with fantastic results.

Please do, if it`s all they say I will be the next customer.

I ordered one bottle White Diamond. They don't tell you how much the shipping is going to be if you order online using a credit card.... I got home today and they processed my order for the S/H ... $7.50!! WTF!

$15.00 + $7.50 = $22.50 :thebirdm:

If this stuff is any good you'd be better off to try to get it locally. I should have tried the Harley shops around here to see what they have but I just realized this after reading tufftoy1. Makes since to me.

So far:

1-Wenol
2-Meguiars Quick Detailer
3-White Diamond
4-Eagle1 Never Dull
5-Bush`s Aluminum Polish
6-Zoop Seal
7-Mother`s
8-The Original Purple Metal Polish

The only one I`ve tried on the list is Mother`s and it was labor intensive. I think the key to cleaning/polishing these wheels is to do it quite often and then it won`t be such a daunting job when it comes around. Thanks for your input so far guys..........anyone else, please chime in.

I ordered one bottle White Diamond. They don't tell you how much the shipping is going to be if you order online using a credit card.... I got home today and they processed my order for the S/H ... $7.50!! WTF!

$15.00 + $7.50 = $22.50 :thebirdm:

If this stuff is any good you'd be better off to try to get it locally. I should have tried the Harley shops around here to see what they have but I just realized this after reading tufftoy1. Makes since to me.

Sorry Mullinax,i have seen it at a Yamaha dealer.Should of spoke up guess.

What have you used that you like on raw aluminum?
Self etching cleaners,Mag 1 makes one and i think the other is Espree if its still around.There acid etching cleaners so it takes water cleanup.Make sure it says self etching,they make aluminum cleaners for clear coat wheels and will do nothing for the non coated aluminum wheels.
If there in bad shape it will take a few times with a brush.

I just got off work and made to the house. My White Diamond wheel cleaner has arrived. Opened the bottle and took a sniff... barely has a smell. This stuff is not a paste at all! It's like water! I'll have to be careful with this stuff because I'll might use it up to quickly. It is a white liquid with something floating around in it... says to shake well. It also says not to be used on coated wheels. Just for the record I have Weld bare aluminum wheels so this cleaner should be what I need.

Now just whenever I get lazy butt out there to see how it works. I'll let you know Longgone!

OK...... I got to try the White Diamond polish. This stuff is amazing! It does not take near as much elbow grease to get the job done. It just takes a little bit and it goes a long way. It removed stuff that the Wenol wouldn't touch! I highly recommend it to those that are sick of "working" on their aluminum wheels.

Thanks for the recommendation 340sixpack!

-
Back