Am I insane? Swirl paint?

-
Rob,
That yellow Challenger seen above is what I'm talking about.. its going to be swirl painted with a "yellow" base.....The swirls, will be Plum Crazy Purple over yellow.....

THEN, that same model, has a shaker hood scoop, that will have a plum crazy purple base, with yellow swirls.....

The whole car, is a flip-flop, I took out the 340 TA engine, replaced with a 426 Hemi RT engine, the paint as said above....

I have yet to rub the shell down and get ready for the swirl dip......I'm working on a technique to get the paint to do what I want over this shell, BEFORE I actually go through with it.....SO, I've been reading up on the whole thing and in different ways people have done it to guitars to see if I can control in what way the purple goes over the yellow, as I don't want to cover the yellow completely up with purple.....

Make a little more sense now?

No. I caint see it so it don't make any sense. Insane. lol

Rob,
I'm going to take this "yellow" body Challenger:

1970DodgeChallenger000.jpg

And I want to make it have purple swirls over the yellow paint like this model already has:

IMG_2488_zps1c11ecab.jpg

Only difference? I am only adding Purple, no other colors to the swirling added paint.....

Aaahhh. That makes a little more sense now about using the nos as a start...

As far as the engine options go I totally see your point!! So that means if I'd wanna build one how I want my Duster to turn out they don't offer 318s?? That pretty ridiculous... I guess I'd just have to decal the 340 as a 318...

Aaahhh. That makes a little more sense now about using the nos as a start...

Not sure what your referring too here? Explain what you mean by "nos"?

As far as the engine options go I totally see your point!! So that means if I'd wanna build one how I want my Duster to turn out they don't offer 318s?? That pretty ridiculous... I guess I'd just have to decal the 340 as a 318...

Well no, they don't offer a "318" per-se, BUT they do offer a 273, AND a 340.....Either of these could be used to represent a "318".....Which would depict the year your trying to represent.

NOW say, if you want to represent a late model "LA 360" you would HAVE to use the 340 model they make....... See? MPC, AMT-Ertl, Round2, Revell, Monogram. None of them made a lot of small block Mopar engines....The only ones made that I know of is the slant 6 by Lindberg, used in the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere, the 1964 Dodge 330. The 340 was used ONLY in the Revel-Monogram 1970 Dodge Charger, TA AND it was also the same motor used in the same model listed as the Challenger R/T! I THINK the Deoria "truck" show car model also had a Slant 6 in it, BUT I'm unsure what company made that model......

NOW granted, all of these companies have made the 440, and the 426 Hemi. Some made slightly different variants of either of these 2 model engines....

Lindberg made a engine of the Commando 383 AND the 426 Max-Wedge, AND the 426 Street Wedge!

To date, I don't know of any model companies listed here to make a 383.....period! Although, you could make one from parts of the 440, and use whatever intake to fit the block and heads and get away with it, BUT you won't find decals for the air cleaner for that engine! NO WHERE!

Now, if you want to have "specific" engines to go into whatever model that you have, you can always go "aftermarket" (like we Mopar guys no noting on that one....) BUT same goes for the models too!

Ross Gibson makes all sorts of Mopar engines....from the slant 6 all the way to the generation 2 Hemi's, in multiple configurations of intake, pro-street, pro-stock, drag, you name it top fuel...... BUT, (yes theirs ALWAYS a clause, isn't there?) You pay for it. these "Gibson" engines, are damn near $30.00 EACH! by the time you get shipping on to the price its over $30 for just a MOTOR! And its not just the Mopar engines they have, its ALL of them! Even the brand "X" motors he makes and sells are just around $30.... a couple are over $30!

And then these aftermarket model parts there is another catch to it, they aren't normal model plastic either! They're cast resin, so assembly has to be done with super glue, normal model glue from Testors, will not work on it, and the glue known as "Plastic Welder" ALSO will NOT work on it....

Now, you remember that "318" you mentioned? I know how you can get a "Mopar Performance" set of valve covers to fit that 340.....BUT the 2 valve covers are going to cost ya $10.00 for a detail part. And they even come with decals! All you have to do is paint them, put them in place, and add the water slide decals to the valve covers......To me, that's a bit steep, BUT this one place, is the only place I know that has the "Mopar Performance" type valve covers, the real ones are black with the raised aluminum surfaces polished off.....I've seen them on models, they look good but $10 is more then I'm willing to pay, specially for 2 parts that if you sneezed hard enough could make them fly away and your out of the set, or a single valve cover....

To make this post even longer, and to say how I know all this? I used to own a Hobby Shop.....I closed down last year due to my surgery and health condition, but its stuff like this guys like me, has to know.... or I'da never made it to where I am now without having some extreme difficulties. SO if your ever looking for something that is model car related, be sure to PM me......I'll do what I can to help!

Caleb,
Yeah sort of.... See the '70 Challenger I did this too was a Challenger 340 TA, the old one! NOT the new released one, it was red plastic when I opened it....Was new "old" stock at a local antique shoppe that I go too once in awhile as I know the owner....

Here's what I was referring to... NOS = new old stock.

Wow. The mopar performance valve covers would be sweet to put on a model! maybe I'll have to put some on my Duster model (if I ever get around to building one) You sure do know your models that's for sure!! If I ever have any questions on where to get parts or something I'll be sure n PM ya!!

Caleb,
I knew the "NOS" comment be something so simple and make me feel dumb all at the same time LOL Its only pride right? LOL

Anyway, yes, the Challenger I have was a NOS model that I got, and am messing it all up as really, it probably is a collectors type model! The new one that you can buy thats made by Revell, is a 1970 Dodge Challenger TA.....They also make the same car a RT as well......Sadly, in both these new models, they keep the 340 as a power plant!

I like to try and keep the models I build "stock" but this is one time, I just couldn't resist it....I got nothing against the 340, or any Mopar engine really, BUT a Challenger with a big block, (A Hemi no-less) has to be awesome!

Anyway, I am a builder, needless to say, I'm also a collector too (I have to limit myself) BUT right now, I am limited with funds, I'm awaiting a pay off the government owes me from a mistake they made on my income tax return...a $3,800 dollar mistake, PLUS I own some property, thats sold, an am awaiting pay off on that as well.....

BUT, I used to own a Hobby Shop. I was right on top of things for the most part, till last year and had to under go Open Heart Surgery, which slowed me right down and I wound up having to close the shop up due to it. Granted, I had more to do with Scale model Trains then model cars, but, I always seemed to be near model cars when dealing with the trains so. it kinda was always in the shadows, I guess....PLUS I worked part time doing Landscaping and Building repairs too...

Now, that shop is mine to enjoy and build.....Trains or model cars (I'm taking a bit of a break from the trains tho, I've got to trade and sell off some stock of it but working on them (building) I'm taking a break for awhile.....

When ya need things or are looking for specific details, let me know!

-
Back