Am i missing a breather cap?

-

ozmoparjoe

Reaction score
Hi all, since getting my car on the road i have had transmission oil leaking from somewhere, i believe i have traced it back to what i think is the breather? Is it supposed to have a cap that goes over it? And if so, where on earth would i get one?
Advice is greatly appreciated thanks!

20170722_135126.jpg

It's similar to a rear axle vent cap. If it's leaking from there though, it's likely either over filled, or filled with the wrong gear oil and is foaming up badly. Should be either ATF or 80w90 according to the FSM.

this is the stuff i used, when i filled it with oil, i basically filled until it started coming out of the fill hole, is that correct?

20170218_133431.jpg

Probably not. That's more than likely too full. That's the old school way and sometimes it works, sometimes not. The best way is to look up the capacity in the FSM and fill it accordingly.

But yes, that's the correct oil.

There is nothing wrong with your filling method, it is correct.

Yes, the little cap is missing from your breather. Possibly the internal baffle is as well. If you can probe a small diameter wire or piece of rod more than 1/2" or 3/4" into that breather the baffle is not there.

Brewers should be able to help you out with both. The trans has to come apart to install the baffle.

There is nothing wrong with your filling method, it is correct.

Yes, the little cap is missing from your breather. Possibly the internal baffle is as well. If you can probe a small diameter wire or piece of rod more than 1/2" or 3/4" into that breather the baffle is not there.

Brewers should be able to help you out with both. The trans has to come apart to install the baffle.
Knowing my luck with this gearbox, id say theres no baffle, is it a real necessity?
Is there something i can do in the meantime before i get a new breather?
P.S. Thanks for the links

I believe that the breather has a little spring and rubber seal in it, this may solve your problem. In the meantime you could run a piece of hose up from the breather, possibly up and around in a circle like you would a fuel cell vent?

I believe that the breather has a little spring and rubber seal in it, this may solve your problem. In the meantime you could run a piece of hose up from the breather, possibly up and around in a circle like you would a fuel cell vent?
I was thinking of doing something along those lines, at least i could drive the car this weekend, supposed to be nice weather :)

A lot of gearboxes are filled to 3/4 to 1” below fill hole.

Many trucks run the vent up into engine bay,some clamp to a bellhousing bolt.

A lot of gearboxes are filled to 3/4 to 1” below fill hole.

Many trucks run the vent up into engine bay,some clamp to a bellhousing bolt.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^ Gear oils can have a pretty high expansion rate. Newer oils expand less when hot and also have better anti foaming agents.

I'd drain a pint out of it and see what happens. You may still need a baffle.

pull the fill plug and see if a little drains out. the capacity is 7.5 pints. run a piece of hose up a few. the brass in that trans. prefers GL4 gearlube-not GL5

thanks for all the replies everyone, im going to buy one tomorrow morning, are they a screw out screw in deal? Theres no hex shape to grab it with a spanner, so do i just use pliers or something?

I believe that they are pressed in..... it might not be the easiest thing to change in the car. I have un crimped and removed the cap and innards before to clean out glass bead, then re installed it.

They are cheap enough, buy two, disassemble one and see if you can just use the cap and innards on your existing breather. If you mess it up you still have the second to change the whole thing.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth LOL.

-
Back