Am I ready for the last coat of primer

-

cudascott

It’s a sickness!
Reaction score
My last block sanding of the car was with 120 grit is that good enough to do one last coat and wet sand? And what grit should I wet sand with?
Thanks

120 cuts really deep.
I would add 2-3 more coats of primer, block with 220 wet.
Add 2-3 more coats of primer then block with 400 wet.
Shoot the color to it.

120 is kinda rough to prime over. I'd block that a bit with some 220 before priming again.

I normally start block sanding with 220 then move to 320 (with guide coat of course). If the primer has more texture (orange peel) than normal, I might start out with 180 (all PSA - sticky back- in Dura Block sanders. After finishing with the 320, you have a decision to make. If the primer looks good (all the guide coat is gone and things look smooth), then block it with dry 400 and then wet 400 and wet 600. If you need to tweak a few places, then stop after the 320, fix the bad places, spray some more primer, and then start with the 320 again. I know it sounds like a lot of sanding, but good surface preparation is CRITICAL.

Did you spatter some black paint over the primer before your block sanding to look for low spots?

You need to read the tech sheet for the products you are using, they will tell you what grit you need to finish with before top coating and what grit scratch your primer will fill.

yea i used a guide coat and was suprised at how straight my work was. when i sprayed the high build it had alot of texture and i opted to use the 120 to cut it faster. so ill reduce the high build a little more and do a block sanding with with 320 and final wet sand with 400

Hit the whole car with some 180, at least, before you spray any more primer over it. Otherwise, you might end up with a little shrinkage and sanding marks showing up later, after the paint cures really good.

ok I'll do some 180 then another coat. I don't think I'll have to worry about the scratches showing up cause a slow as I am it will fully cure by the time I get to sanding again :toothy1:

And thanks again for all the help and info

LOL. That seems to happen to me all the time. Not intentional, but time slips away.

-
Back