Am I Screwed!!

-

dartsport76

can't get right
Reaction score
I started hearing some noise from by BB I started tearing it down and found what looks like the back of the timing gear has worn into the block about a 1/16 of an inch, the main bearings show some metal tranfer on the them the cranks looks as if it would only need to be polished. My question is why would this happen? what coused it? here is some info on the engine it is a 512 stroker solid comp cam, billit timing gear, I also have a cam button on the front of the timing gesr as well. the engine has about 500 miles on it, so is this block any good now I know thay make a plate to go behind the timing gear is it too late to but one there? will it keep this from happening again? Any help or info would be great.

Thanks
Brian

Sounds like you had the cam thrust button to tight against the timing cover and zero end play. Block is still good but will need a good cleaning to remove any of the loose metal.

Dude ! That sucks !

I am in agreeance with the other guys. Thats what it sounds like from the desciption given. Dont ya just love this hobby ?? :)

-RPM

Dude ! That sucks !

I am in agreeance with the other guys. Thats what it sounds like from the desciption given. Dont ya just love this hobby ?? :)

-RPM
Hey man good to hear from you, I think ya'll are right I'll install a new trust bearing and put some clearence between the timing cover and button. thats after I have it cleaned. by the way next time in Meridian I'll make sure to stop by and get some more mopar signs from ya.

Brian

The clearance your looking for is .005-.010 between the button and the cover.Make sure your cam is seated all the away towards the rear before your measurement. If your cover is worn bad at the thrust button location I would replace it too.

A chebby needs the button.........

Your right to a point. OEM manufacture their cams with a .0025 taper across the face of the lobe which forced the cam towards the rear. Aftermarket manufacturer of cams use a taper of .005. This also contributes to the lifter rotation. Yes he shouldn't need a cam button with a flat tappet cam but when set up the right way it just ensures that the cam doesn't walk. ALL roller cams need a thrust button as they do not contain this taper.

-
Back