AMC-20 swap to 8.75 in a 68 Barracuda

-

lomchivok

Reaction score
Attached is a picture that represents what the diff cover looks like on the one under my 68. I think it's an AMC 20. When looking at the specs I found that the spring perches were only 1/2 inch wider..1/4"/side....and that the width was right there too. The yoke takes a different size U joint but cant remember how far off...+.050 rings a bell...
Anybody seen this rear end under an A body????might be a common swap???

I'm a gonna drop an 8.75, 323 suregrip in there in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering what the difference in length the axle centerline is from the yoke U joint saddles between the AMC 20 and the 8.75. I'll probably have to change the driveshaft yoke to match the 7290 pinion yoke on the 8.75????

I just wonder if the drive line length and existing yoke and other mounting hardware and brackets will work without modification. The 8.75 is out of my long gone stock totaled 68 Barracuda.

AMC 20.jpg

image.jpg
This may not be much help , but here goes I have one of these Axles in my Australian A body Charger , We pull them out of AMC hornets ( that's what they are called here) all our Hornets had the V8 Axle....
In our 68 and older cars they fit right on to the spring pads , in 69 up they need there spring pads moved outboard .5 inch per side (approx from memory)
Drive shaft lengths I am hazy on sorry , I used to have a 8.75 a long time back , we have Borg Warner axles std in our cars and both the AMC 20 and the 8.75 axles are longer in the nose , ( but I can't offer an accurate measurement tonight) your drive shaft should have a conversion universal in it now , ( I had to put one in mine ) but the stock small uni should go back in , I'm reasonably sure.

I can't imagine that anything involving putting AMC parts into another car is a common swap here in the US. Now, the reverse if probably true, I would bet putting an 8 3/4 in an AMC is a common thing for AMC owners to do. But given the number of AMC's out there even if every single one of them did that swap I don't think it would be "common", just not a lot of those AMC's out there.

Here's a page that talks about replacing an AMC 20 with an 8 3/4, lists some of the specs and things that have to change.

***disclaimer- I don't own an AMC and I haven't done this swap, so I don't know if this is all accurate info. Just something I found with a quick search***

chrysler-8-34-rearend-interchange-to-amc

Last edited:
I can't imagine that anything involving putting AMC parts into another car is a common swap here in the US. Now, the reverse if probably true, I would bet putting an 8 3/4 in an AMC is a common thing for AMC owners to do. But given the number of AMC's out there even if every single one of them did that swap I don't think it would be "common", just not a lot of those AMC's out there.

Here's a page that talks about replacing an AMC 20 with an 8 3/4, lists some of the specs and things that have to change.

***disclaimer- I don't own an AMC and I haven't done this swap, so I don't know if this is all accurate info. Just something I found with a quick search***

chrysler-8-34-rearend-interchange-to-amc
Thanks 72bluNblu and the rest...I looked for days for the information found in the link you provided but was unsuccessful. didn't consider searching for mopar to amc swaps...good find and thanks for sharing. In a week or so my 68 will be 100% mopar again.

-
Back