AMD versus Goodmark quarter panel skins.

-
I looked up this 1972 Goodmark panel. It is a skin. The pic is not that good but it appears to have a leg.

View attachment 1715220868

Yes, I found it in Goodmarks site now too. They actually show one side with and one side without the dogleg. Makes me wonder if they have a new improved skin now. Their previous Dart skins left a lot to be desired.

Yes, I found it in Goodmarks site now too. They actually show one side with and one side without the dogleg. Makes me wonder if they have a new improved skin now. Their previous Dart skins left a lot to be desired.
I reckon they deal with different suppliers.

I admit I watch prices on everything, but for most of us that are DIU and not a bodyshop pro, I rather buy the best gauge and fitting panel IF I buy a repop, Many early A bodies, 66-7 B bodes, etc that either have no panel available or what is, makes Goodmark look totally wonderful.
I forget who repoped it but last year I was over on FBBO and some poor b****** that was doing a 69 Roadrunner, He was a PRO bodyman, and had to split that longggg quarter panel all the way down to get it to fit, was 3/4 inch off!!!!! I think sometimes the Wops punch out some off panels, and they get sold.
N o doubt we are all better off paying more for a GOOD project in the long run. Just not that many good ones left!!!

I'm curious if the original poster bought the Goodmark quarter skin right from Goodmark? Was it labeled as Goodmark or was it bought from a vendor who said it was Goodmark?
I have never seen a Goodmark quarter skin with the dogleg. Ever.
And I installed dozens of them before AMD even existed.
The AMD panels are so much heavier and stronger than the Goodmark. No comparison

bought directly from Goodmark but fulfilled thru Amazon, label on the inside of the panel is Goodmark. Came in a Goodmark Shipping box. You're entitled to your opinion, but with both panels sitting here before me, and the bad issues of the AMD, plus the fact they even admitted to having to stop production due to a problem with those panels, my comparison stands. The pictures posted show enough to prove the issues with the AMD. Plus, if you do a search on this site, you'll find I am not the only one that bought AMD quarter skins for a 74 dart that were way shorter in length than a factory one. You can claim the Goodmark is thinner, which it is, but its the same gauge as the factory panels, and per a set of certified and calibrated micrometers, the difference in thickness as previously noted is minimal at best.

When I paying nearly 50% more for a product, it better be 50% better in quality. In this case, the AMD that I received is in no way better than the cheaper panel from Goodmark. Fitment issues are to be expected, but a panel that much shorter than factory is a major flaw. Not to mention the body lines not matching up. And for the record, the AMD panel, I personally picked up directly from AMD themselves. So its not a knock off claiming to be an AMD panel.

Last edited:
I bet the quality if panels from both companies might vary by make and also by batch. I agree, if you pay way more you expect it to be way better. The fact one co. panel is slightly heavier metalmight be because of damage during shipping Years back when I was restoring quite a few cars every year, I would travel 1 hour to Harden's ( since out of business) and pick up my sheetmetal. Yes before Goodmark, and AMD, we would or thru 10-20 qtr panels looking for ONE that was not dinged to heck and back!!
Bout any panels will need some tweeking and trimming. The difference is between some and a whole lot!!!

I bet the quality if panels from both companies might vary by make and also by batch. I agree, if you pay way more you expect it to be way better. The fact one co. panel is slightly heavier metalmight be because of damage during shipping Years back when I was restoring quite a few cars every year, I would travel 1 hour to Harden's ( since out of business) and pick up my sheetmetal. Yes before Goodmark, and AMD, we would or thru 10-20 qtr panels looking for ONE that was not dinged to heck and back!!
Bout any panels will need some tweeking and trimming. The difference is between some and a whole lot!!!
Yeah quality control is almost as rare as common sense these days

I too have done a comparison of an AMD quarter skin to Goodmark for the 70-71 Dart
In the photos you can see the differences.
I own both panels.
You can see the AMD panel has the dogleg below the door as original, but the Goodmark is cut straight down.
The side marker stamping is crisp where the Goodmark is crude.
The folds on the wheel opening are crisp on the AMD panel like original and very rounded on the Goodmark.
AMD panel weighs 21lbs on my scale.
Goodmark panel weighs 17 lbs on the same scale.
AMD panel is noticeable heavier, stiffer.
The Goodmark panel has huge flanges that need to be trimmed down, yet it is still 4lbs lighter.

I have installed both panels over the years on several cars.
No comparison. AMD panel is so much superior.
Perhaps Goodmark has made a new and improved version of their Dart skins since this one was made?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A few more pictures.
The AMD panel has nicely trimmed flanges all around that are the same size as original.
The Goodmark panel has huge oversize flanges, except in the door jamb where it is trimmed much too narrow.
The AMD gas filler hole has sharp edges( but no holes drilled).
The Goodmark panel has soft rounded edges, with holes drilled.
The AMD panel has a nice fold over the top at the right angle.
The Goodmark panel is basically flat, no where near the correct angle, and has crude corners.
The AMD panel fits well. I have installed them. Yes, a bit of hammer and dolly work is required to get a couple flanges just right, but it isn't Lego. Few repro panels are 100% perfect.
I have owned both of these panels for about 5 years.
So has Goodmark revised their panels and now making a nicer panel?
I don't know, but this is my comparison.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back in the early 90's when these Goodmark quarter skins hit the market, they were the best thing since sliced bread. I installed dozens of them on Chargers, Road Runners, Darts, Cudas etc. We were happy to have them.
But when AMD came along with full quarters, that were heavier, and better, and made cut down versions as skins too, it left the Goodmark skins in their dust.
Don't get me wrong. Goodmark makes a lot of excellent panels.
But comparing the two panels I have in my possession, as well as 30 years of experience installing them, I know which I prefer.
I'd like to see a current Goodmark Dart quarter skin in person to see if they are a new improved panel.

I'm guessing here but I'd say the goodmark panels are hand made and the AMD are stamped with continued improvement to their fitment.

I was looking a little closer at my Goodmark Duster quarter skins this afternoon. I noticed that the lower body line at the front of the panel is very weakly stamped. The top of the cotour is there and fairly OK, but the bottom ridge is not present. They have merely rounded out the shape instead of leading the contour into a smoothed out wheel arch. You can see just behind the door opening how the lower part of the shape is not present. Good thing for me I'm only using these for patches. If I was changing the entire skin it would be quite a challenge to put that line into the panel! Not impossible, but not a quick job.

IMG_7034[1].JPG
IMG_7035[1].JPG
IMG_7036[1].JPG

I still say this, 1. Buy THE best panels you can get, period, maybe they are twice as high... 2. Cars that are not 99% virgin metal are really as my buddy always calls them "quilt cars", you cannot substitute for original sheetmetal.
We were lucky decades ago, a patch could fix 95%of them, and there really was NO decent quarter panels. We had decent cars to work on. Yes a great body man can fix anything, but few out there, few can afford them, the majority of us in this hobby are the "little" guy.

I was looking a little closer at my Goodmark Duster quarter skins this afternoon. I noticed that the lower body line at the front of the panel is very weakly stamped. The top of the cotour is there and fairly OK, but the bottom ridge is not present. They have merely rounded out the shape instead of leading the contour into a smoothed out wheel arch. You can see just behind the door opening how the lower part of the shape is not present. Good thing for me I'm only using these for patches. If I was changing the entire skin it would be quite a challenge to put that line into the panel! Not impossible, but not a quick job.

View attachment 1715222763

View attachment 1715222764

View attachment 1715222765
Revisiting this years later and I did have the same issue but didn’t notice it until I went to starting the final block and filler. So now I’m trying to fix it after it’s welded on

Last edited:
The goodmark barracuda skins leave a bit to be desired. That said I got them from getallparts.com and they only cost me $125 per side. Shipped to my doorstep via truck freight the total with both skins and a goodmark battery tray was $300. Since my car is a coupe, I just couldent justify getting AMD and then cutting the top off for a non stock seam anyways. I have more time than money, and am making these fit.

Resized_20220321_184928(2).jpeg

Resized_20220321_184908(2).jpeg

The goodmark barracuda skins leave a bit to be desired. That said I got them from getallparts.com and they only cost me $125 per side. Shipped to my doorstep via truck freight the total with both skins and a goodmark battery tray was $300. Since my car is a coupe, I just couldent justify getting AMD and then cutting the top off for a non stock seam anyways. I have more time than money, and am making these fit.

View attachment 1716211079

View attachment 1716211080
Yep plus it’s pretty much a moot point now. AMD has stopped making just the skins so Goodmark is pretty much it

AMD sucks for Mopar. Bean counters!!!!
Glad you found something that works out plenty fine!!
There was also a problem with their stamping mold for quarter skins for 70-76 darts years ago. At least that’s what an AMD dealer told me

Revisiting this years later and I did have the same issue but didn’t notice it until I went to starting the final block and filler. So now I’m trying to fix it after it’s welded on
Had the same issue with mine when I replaced them around 2000. I used a chisel and carefully hammered the line into the panel one half inch at a time. Time consuming but it did the job.

DSC01807a.jpg

-
Back