american vs european formula oil

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Whats the difference in european oil like Mobil1 european formula synthetic. Is this superior since it is for turbo cars also ? Would I be helping my roller cam motor by using this? I have a chance to buy a case of 10/40 for 3 bucks a bottle and was wondering if i should.

LOL... I use motorcycle oil Bel Ray... which is American! Anyway buy it.. it is a rip off (I am guessing) 3 bucks a bottle! Here it costs at least 10euros per Liter! and it will be good for 15000Km...= 9 320.56788 miles LOL.
To rap it up, Mobil 1 is used by car companies like AUDI, which makes turbo cars but you will often see that Audi in Germany suggests Mobil1, for their cars in Greece suggests another brand.. in UK another, in Italy another, in Spain another.... and goes on and on...
It is a money game!

I didn't even know there was such thing as 'Mobil1 European formula synthetic'.

bump for experienced engineers X2.

The only difference I had ever heard of between European synthetic and US synthetic was that the advertising laws in Europe were more specific about what could be called synthetic. What that means is that European synthetic oil is classfied as a Group 4 oil where most of the US manufactures start with a Group 3 oil to make there synthetics. Mobil 1 (along with the specialty companies like Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc) were the only ones that were a Group 4 oil but I heard that Mobil had changed and was now working from a Group 3 base to make there oil.

Don't know what that means in the big scheme of things regarding how they perform there function but the whiners on oil forums ***** that because they start with a petroleum base to make the synthetic it shouldn't be called synthetic.

The other thing that is likely differnent is you may not se API service ratings on European oil and will have a DIN equivalent. Doubt it makes much real difference in the oil just specing to the market it's sold in. Maybe the european oil has more of the ZDDP additives that are necessary for radical flat tappet cams to survive but I don't know but I wouldn't count on it, Eurpe has the same kind of emissions requirements as the US.

-
Back