amp meter wire locations

-

blk00rt

Reaction score
I looked at the back of my gauge cluster and I can not see where the wires come into the amp meter. I have the printed circuit board on the back of gauges and do not see any wires going to the amp meter. Is it in the round plug connector that plugs into the back of the gauge panel? If so which wires? If not which connector is it on. If you have pictures that would be great too.
thanks

They're heavy red and black wires secured to the gauge with nuts - separate from the round plug with wires. If there is nothing connected to the gauge it's possible someone did a bypass.

76's did not have the heavy wires going to them from what I have been told. the previous owner never bypassed it, he told me when I bought the car that I should if I was going to put a larger alternator in it. The wires came through the connector to the amp meter, I tried by passing them there and my head lights stayed on constanly. I think I got the wrong pins.

The early Mopars had all the current going through the ammeter, I don't know about '76 however but you ought to be able to look it up. I would think by 76 they would have fixed the high current ammeter issue with something better and not run all the current through the firewall connector, ammeter and back. Find your wiring diagram and check it out here...

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

-
Back