An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

-
Yes and no. Width matters so pay attention. Backing plates usually interchange. Though Your best bet is to get a back plate drum set.

No the 7.25 mounting plates will not work in your new 8.75. 2.25 inch diameter tube versus 3 inch. I tried to hog my plates out but the shock mount itself hit the axle.
Will 8 1/4 backing plates work on the 8 3/4?

I want to thank everyone for their input. I was able to pick up some BBP 10 x 2.5 backing plates, drums and shoes that are like new, and the shock plates for my 8.75 housing at Mopars in the Park over the weekend.

A-BODY
  • '66-'72= 52 5/8”
    • BBP 7.25/8.25 = 51.5”
I have a question about Dr. Diff axles. I just ordered a set for stock A body housing length. I chose the BBP so am I to assume that I should have my housing narrowed to 51.5? Nevermind, I just realized that is for 7.25 and 8.25. The 8.25 through me off. I need my housing narrowed to 52 5/8. What a great place for info!! Thanks.

I have a question about Dr. Diff axles. I just ordered a set for stock A body housing length. I chose the BBP so am I to assume that I should have my housing narrowed to 51.5? Nevermind, I just realized that is for 7.25 and 8.25. The 8.25 through me off. I need my housing narrowed to 52 5/8. What a great place for info!! Thanks.
If I remember correctly there are 2 options for big bolt pattern axles.
1. Axles for using stock abody small bolt pattern backing plates and drums (slotted to fit big bolt pattern). Using a stock small bolt pattern housing width will result in a stock small bolt pattern flange to flange overall width.

2. Axles for using big bolt pattern backing plates and drums (already at 4.5" big bolt pattern). Using these axles with a stock width small bolt pattern housing will result in a slightly wider overall axle flange to axle flange width. Wider than the stock abody small bolt pattern rear end. I can't remember how much wider off the top of my head right now.

The reason for this is the drum backing plate offset is different between small and big bolt pattern rear ends. This makes the distance between the bearing and the axle flange longer on the big bolt pattern rear ends. Also If I remember correctly the register on the axle for the drun is a smaller diameter on the small bolt pattern axles.

I think you can narrow the housing and shorten the spline end of the axles by the offset amount and end up with the same overall axle flange to axle flange width as the stock small bolt pattern 8 3/4" rear ends. I think Dr. Diff offers the axles both ways.

If this isn't right please say so.

If I remember correctly there are 2 options for big bolt pattern axles.
1. Axles for using stock abody small bolt pattern backing plates and drums (slotted to fit big bolt pattern). Using a stock small bolt pattern housing width will result in a stock small bolt pattern flange to flange overall width.

2. Axles for using big bolt pattern backing plates and drums (already at 4.5" big bolt pattern). Using these axles with a stock width small bolt pattern housing will result in a slightly wider overall axle flange to axle flange width. Wider than the stock abody small bolt pattern rear end. I can't remember how much wider off the top of my head right now.

The reason for this is the drum backing plate offset is different between small and big bolt pattern rear ends. This makes the distance between the bearing and the axle flange longer on the big bolt pattern rear ends. Also If I remember correctly the register on the axle for the drun is a smaller diameter on the small bolt pattern axles.

I think you can narrow the housing and shorten the spline end of the axles by the offset amount and end up with the same overall axle flange to axle flange width as the stock small bolt pattern 8 3/4" rear ends. I think Dr. Diff offers the axles both ways.

If this isn't right please say so.
Looks like I chose the 52 5/8 stock housing width. I will have to buy wheels due to the 5 on 4.5 pattern. But before, I need to determine what wheel will fit. BTW, if anyone on this forum has a 66 Dart using a stock 52 5/8 housing with Dr. Diff axles, what size rim did you install?

Looks like I chose the 52 5/8 stock housing width. I will have to buy wheels due to the 5 on 4.5 pattern. But before, I need to determine what wheel will fit. BTW, if anyone on this forum has a 66 Dart using a stock 52 5/8 housing with Dr. Diff axles, what size rim did you install?
Which drums and backing plates did you order?

Is this a housing that already has big bolt pattern axles that you are having narrowed?

I probably will have to put disc on the front. Currently have the 9 inch drum. Not sure how the brakes will do. Most likely they will continue to stop fine if not better with the larger rear shoes.

Yes. B body
If dr. diff knows your plans he would have sent you axles with offset to match your backing plates.
Be aware your overall width drum to drum will be a little wider than a factory stock small bolt pattern abody 8 3/4.
If you're having your housing narrowed you can correct for that if you want to. If I remember correctly there was plenty of spline length on the axles so cutting them wasn't an issue.
I didn't correct when I did my drum rear because I already had an abody housing. I did on my rear disc brake rear end because it started as a b-body housing that was already being narrowed anyway.
Hope this makes sense.
I only bring this up because you are asking for wheel offsets for your dart. If the person you ask has a factory small bolt pattern 8 3/4" rear keep in mind your's will be a little wider than their's.

Great info. The older gentleman who is doing the work says he’s done hundreds over the years. The axles ordered with the doctor is for a stock 52 5/8 housing The axles will be LBP. Not sure how much further they stick out or in verses my current 7 1/4. I’ll learn more along the way.

I did get the housing narrowed, assembled it on stands and then took it apart until I'm ready to install. Then I can take measurements for the rear wheels.

-
Back