An Oil Question

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
By running a higher viscosity oil, such as 20w50 or thicker, does it do damage over time to seals, say the piston rings, causing it to smoke? Any other risks? I wouldnt want to run a lighter oil here in So Cal and performance is not top of the mind material like engine durabilty is for me. Im not trying to get every last 1 or 3 horses by running a lighter oil. A few of my motors have higher miles, so i prefer thicker oil with possibly an additive like Lucas or something to make it a little thicker and quiet noisy tappets down if I have any. Im not worried about oil frothing, as they arent regulary spun to 5500 RPM and oil preesure never radically swings up and down. All and all, what I am curious about is if there is any risk of premature damage to rings, seals, and bearings by using a thicker/higher viscosity oil? I have gotten some opinions, but I like to collect a good amount of them. Thanks.

72Demon_340 said:
I also use the 15w 40 diesel oil.

I use the 15w 40 diesel oil myself but I'm concerned that the changes in the oil that was mandated this year has dropped the quality of the oil. Is it still the same cam saving oil that we need for our flat tappet camshafts?

Yes, the CJ-4 HDEO rating carrys only slightly less ZDDP than earlier formulas, and far more than the SM-rated PCMOs. I run Rotella T-Syn 5w-40. HDEO, best of both worlds for cold starting viscosity as well as a good flat tappet add formulation. It's not bad price-wise either compared to fully PAO-based stuff like Redline, etc.

Is there any consideration when changing from ???whatever oil is in the motor now, (probably a 30 wt or something, whatever came with the car) to this 15-40 diesel??? Does this oil require a special filter?
Thanks
Darius

just try to use chevron delo 400(that doesn't say "low emissions" on it) or the shell rotella t. that lucas stuff is good too. just drain and change.

-
Back