And now, a wiper gremlin…

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
Almost as soon as I get one gremlin sorted out, another pops up. I checked the wipers shortly after I installed them, the dash and the wiring. The posts turned and all was well with the universe.

So now, I finally get the correct replacement blades, I mount them on the car, turn on the switch… and nothing. No life, at all. Can’t wait to prostrate myself to work under the dash, again.

Why can’t it just be easy?
:icon_fU:

Almost as soon as I get one gremlin sorted out, another pops up. I checked the wipers shortly after I installed them, the dash and the wiring. The posts turned and all was well with the universe.

So now, I finally get the correct replacement blades, I mount them on the car, turn on the switch… and nothing. No life, at all. Can’t wait to prostrate myself to work under the dash, again.

:icon_fU:
Does these wipers have a fuse? I looked at a fuse block and did not see one labeled.

We need a year and model before we can help. I am sure you will have fuse protection, but I'll need to look at a wiring diagram to be much help. One thing I can HIGHLY recommend is to remove the seat before working under the dash. The few minutes it takes to remove a seat (bucket or bench) will be WELL WORTH IT. You will still be on your back, but the work will be much easier and go much faster. You will probably easily make up the time it took to remove the seat. Also, please wear eye protection when working under the dash. All kinds of crap can fall into your eyes.

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy.

Getting ready to go to the shed and have fun with the wipers! Right now, I turn the ignition on and the wipers do nothing. No clicks, whirring, nothing. Got to be loss of juice, loss of ground, dead switch or motor. It worked after I put it all back together, so here's hoping it's something stupid easy (right down my alley).

1967 Barracuda, Formula S, now with new wiring. 2 spd? Don't have a number off the switch or the motor, until I have to pull them (and I am hoping I don't). Photos attached show the old stuff. These were taken prior to cleaning and putting it all back together. The last photo is the connection from the wiper to the firewall plug.

Anyone sell aftermarket wiper switches?

BTW, does anyone have a good wiper switch knob they would like to part with? The "keeper" inside the current knob fell out and I have to use a piece of tape wedged in to keep it in place... sort of...

upload_2022-8-30_11-4-22.png

upload_2022-8-30_11-5-26.png

upload_2022-8-30_11-7-8.png

upload_2022-8-30_11-7-30.png

There will be # stamped on the switch. 2820525 is 2spd switch. 2770378 is 3spd(2spd variable). There wiĺl also be a # stamped on the black body of motor.

:rofl:And it’s all installed now, so it sucks to get to it.

Will try chasing the gremlin though the wiring first. The switch will not activate the washer pump, so it appears the volts are not getting to the switch. Just need to figure out what is the hot wire from the ignition to the switch, and the bulkhead to the wiper. If no power to switch, need to check if ignition switch is faulty. If power gets to wiper switch but not to the bulkhead connector, wiper switch is faulty. Power at bulkhead but nothing works, it’s probably the motor.

However, only the ignition to wiper switch transfers power to the washer and the wipers. The washer wire is brown - does that mean brown (not red?) is also the hot wire to the wipers?

Anyhow, trying to isolate the gremlin before I start pulling parts.

Yes … removing 4 bolts and taking the seat out will be the best 15 minutes you ever spent !

1967 Barracuda Formula S

Getting prepped to pull the seat, so I can prostrate myself and suffer under the dash. Ended today thinking and chasing some wires.

And that’s when I mentally narrowed it down to the wiper switch. I based this on volts from the ignition switch should be flowing to the wiper switch in the “on” or “accessory” position.

Put the ignition switch in “acc” position and the radio works, but nothing associated wth the wipers work. Turn the ignition to “on” and the radio comes on, the engine starts and runs. But the wipers/washer does nothing.

This tells me the ignition switch is good, but the wiper switch is not providing the volts to the wipers or the washer, in either “acc” or “on.”

So, tomorrow’s challenge is to pull the switch and bench test it.

Does anyone sell a replacement wiper switch?

Thankfully, the Barracuda does not have an interior, yet. Only had to pull the crappy, temporary bucket seat, lay down several moving blankets for padding, then contort myself in a manner no 6’1”, 70yr old man was meant to in order to pull the wiper switch.

I got lucky. The problem was at the switch, but not in the switch. Somehow the freaking 4 wire to switch connector had come off. Must have knocked it off chasing the dash light gremlin.

So, after many magic words and about 3 hrs time, the wiper gremlin is gone.

If this car still had an interior, I would currently be stuck on the floor and under the dash.

-
Back