and now my first wheels question

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
hey everyone
trying to fit a 205/75 14 wheel on the front of the 67 dart. they fit fine on the rear but whn i put them on the front, the brake pulsates when actuated. the previous owner said i needed "plates" - which i have no idea what they are. assuming some sort of spacer plate? but why would they be needed on the front but not the rear?

can anyone help in directing me how to get these to work? it's killing me having 2 sets of wheels on the car and i only have 3 of the original 13 inch stock ones so i cant just revert to original.

thanks everyone

Nope. Something is definately wrong with the way the wheels fit. I dont know what wheels you are using but check how they locate back of the wheel to face of the drums. Center register wrong ? Bolt pattern wrong ?
Good luck

it seems like the wheels are right up against the drum - i mean literally right up against it. with no recessed areas or anything to help "guide" the wheel in place? obv i am new to all this so please excuse my horrifically mangled auto-lingo.

Well, all I know is pulsating pedal comes from a drum or rotor out of round . This pushes brake fluid backward in the lines. Something about the wheel change has altered or atleast magnified an out of round brake.

I have run 215/ 70 14 on all 4 corners using stock rally wheels with no problems at all. I do have have factory discs up front though.

Any chance you can post a picture of what you are referring to? I'm sure it would be worth a thousand words. If you can get it up on say car ramps and take a picture of the wheel from an angle from the front. The alternative would be to jack it up on the front end (both sides) set jack stands under it, turn the steering wheel hard over left or right and take a picture

there is a weight welded to the brake drums....it could be hitting the wheel causing this......

thanks everyone
i pulled the rear wheels off and there is a 5/16 inch spacer plate welded on each wheel. i'll take a pic tonight and post it so you can see what i am referring to. not just a normal wheel spacer as it has been cut and bent to match the contour of the hub. these spacers are NOT on the front and i am wondering if that is the issue.

thank you again everyone.

A fairly common problem that used to be experienced with A-body Mopars was custom wheel clearance on brake drums, especially the slotted chrome wheels. Manufacturers failed to consider the small drum diameter so the back of the wheel would actually contact the casting on the outer edge of the drum or, as mentioned by Waggin, the drum weight which distorted the drum and caused brake pulsation. It was common to make a spacer of aluminum with a diameteter that fit against the smooth surface of the drum, and fit inside of the outer cast ridge, just thick enough to move the wheel away from the cast edge of the drum. I would guess that is the plates referred to above.

yes that is exactly what it seems to be Grim. i took some measurements and the spacers are about 3/16 thick. they are fitted to go about 1/3 of the way around the inside of the rim so it seems to be there to help lift the rim above that bead you spoke of. now the question is where can i find these spacers? i can try to make em. have a welder and a cut off wheel. but if i can get them for 10 bucks each i just assume do that. anyone know who sells these spacers?

-
Back