Android Smart Phone smart guys....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
We both have a Samsung Galaxy S-5. Both are on the "do not call" list. For some reason the boss is still getting calls. Phone does not exactly stop unwanted calls, at least not that I can figure out. Anyhow, is there an app that will only allow numbers in her contact list to call? Any other number the phone just does not ring type of blocking....

We both have a Samsung Galaxy S-5. Both are on the "do not call" list. For some reason the boss is still getting calls. Phone does not exactly stop unwanted calls, at least not that I can figure out. Anyhow, is there an app that will only allow numbers in her contact list to call? Any other number the phone just does not ring type of blocking....

Yes, the phone won't ring but the call will still go to voice mail. It's not an app per say, it's just in your settings. You will get a notification that you had a missed call.

I am recent to smart phones because I hate phones anyway, but mine shows caller ID for the callers in my contact list and just a number for those not.
As far as an app goes, I have never seen a call screening one but I'd like to have one also. (Iphone 5)

I'll see if I can explain this so it makes sense.

From the home screen, bring up the menu -- click> settings, click>device, look for blocking mode> turn it on, choose to have >all contacts allowed.

Your phone is just a touch different than mine, but the settings should be similar.

Now when someone calls that's not in your contact list, it will just go to voice mail and you will be notified you missed a call.

You should still be able to call out to any number.

I think this app may work for you Ink.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrnumber.blocker&hl=en

Description
Mr. Number makes it easy to block unwanted calls, identify & stop spam and look up unknown phone numbers.
- Block calls and texts* from one person, an area code or the entire world
- Stop telemarketers and debt collectors before they waste your time
- Intercept calls from private/unknown numbers and hang up or send to voice mail
- Report spam calls and texts to warn other users
- Automatic caller lookup for recent numbers in your phone's history so you'll know who to block
- 20 free caller lookups for mobile and landline numbers
* Text blocking not available on Android 4.4/KitKat
*** PCMag 100 Best Android Apps ***
*** New York Times: “Mr. Number is one of the most popular” ***
*** Appy Award - Best Communications App ***
Block calls from one number or the world, identify and stop spam.
Mr. Number is the most powerful call blocker on the market. Block calls and texts* from a person, a business, a prefix, or the world. Pick up and hang up on some callers and send others to voicemail - you decide. Keep the content of blocked texts or trash them. Browse comments from other users when you get a spam call or text. Add ‘Suspected Spam’ to your blocklist and Mr. Number blocks them all automatically.

Reverse Lookup gives you more info about who’s calling
Reverse Lookup numbers that have called or texted you. The first 20 phone Lookups are free; additional Lookups can be purchased through the app (20 for 99 cents).

Any questions? Read our FAQ (http://support.mrnumber.com/home) or send a note to [email protected], and we’ll get back to you quickly. Follow us on Twitter: @mrnumber

Read more

I'll see if I can explain this so it makes sense.

From the home screen, bring up the menu -- click> settings, click>device, look for blocking mode> turn it on, choose to have >all contacts allowed.

Your phone is just a touch different than mine, but the settings should be similar.

Now when someone calls that's not in your contact list, it will just go to voice mail and you will be notified you missed a call.

You should still be able to call out to any number.

Ours says to block unknown numbers....but that does not mean any number NOT in your contacts...have already tried this. any number with a valid caller id is still allowed thru...phone can be set up to just send these calls to voice mail but she wants to not even have that happen..

Unless there is some sort of loophole in the do not call law I would report them in addition to blocking. I'm thinking that on my wife's S4 you can block specific numbers, and once done you don't even get a notification. So if it's the same number or just a few maybe that's a viable option.

Ours says to block unknown numbers....but that does not mean any number NOT in your contacts...have already tried this. any number with a valid caller id is still allowed thru...phone can be set up to just send these calls to voice mail but she wants to not even have that happen..

Hmmm...... when I have mine set, no number that isn't in my Contacts list will ring in. I do get a notification of a missed call, and they have the option to leave a voicemail, most don't. If they do, I just delete it.

Hmmm...... when I have mine set, no number that isn't in my Contacts list will ring in. I do get a notification of a missed call, and they have the option to leave a voicemail, most don't. If they do, I just delete it.

Hers is set up to block "unknown" numbers. Our home phone is not in her contacts....and it rings like normal. What she wants is for it not to ring, not to get a notice of a missed call. What she is hoping to accomplish if you are not in the contacts the phone just does not accept your call....what you are describing is what the phone does normally if you don't answer a call....you get a notice of a missed call and the caller goes to voice mail...

She has a list of blocked numbers that she manually entered. One of them called the other day again....she got a notice of a missed call and guessing the caller went to voice mail. Kind of a PITA to have to enter numbers....only to have these telemarketers or whatever they are just use a different line and try again.....sort of like a dog chasing its tail....catching it and having the hair she caught it by get pulled out....and the chase starts again...

Got it figured to her liking....now if you are not in the contact list the phone does not ring. Get a notification of a call. No ring or vibrate. Caller gets a message mailbox not set up, please try back later...

-
Back