Annoying Power issues!!

-

mean318

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a very annoying problem that started last night on the way home. When I am driving normal or when I get on it about every 10-15 seconds my lights go out, my elec. fuel pump shuts off, my amp gauge goes all the way to D and my tach stops at the last RPM before problem started. I have a MSD 6al box and the ignition is not affected by this (no sputtering or dying). It only happens for a split second and the other drivers on the road are probably thinking I am flashing them for some reason. Its only consistant for about 20 minutes or so then everything is fine for 10-15 minutes and then starts up again.

What I am thinking: My amp gauge is heating up, Maybe my starter relay but my ignition is hooked to it. But my fuel pump is also hooked to the starter relay. Maybe votage regulator going in and out but that would only dim the lights and also not put the amp gauge all the way to D

I cleaned all the contacts on the fuse box, and I fixed some wiring problems I had about two weeks ago and this just started. There is a click whenever it happens also and as soon as I opened the hood to check relay and V/R everything started working fine again.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated I love this site for all the info!!!

Check the basics. As in Alternator connection lug,bulkhead connection, battery cable ends, and ground strap. Big culprit on older cars is the bulkhead connection, and also a major cause of fires. Don't just wiggle it separate the halves and check around all the connectors for soot, and any other signs of arcing.

is your hood touching the battery terminals? or somehow causing a direct short?

I had the same thing happen to me. Just driving one night and lost my lights and then back on again. My dimmer switch was hot and my ing switch too.
so I changed booth out and to this day I don't know witch one it was.

as I was driving yesterday it started again but I stopped at the gas station and I turned the key back to the run position and it still did it with the engine off and lights off and there is a metalic click coming from behind the dash whenever it does it,

And by the way thanks for the quick replies!! :thumbup:

I am almost sure there is a loose wire on your light switch that is getting worm because of a lack of current flow. feel of the wires under your dash and find the one that is worm. Look for a self resetting fuss maybe some one has installed.
feel around for the vibration the clicking is coming from.
don't for get to feel of your dimmer switch on the floor.
Hope this helps and keep me posted so I can look on the net for a primary 12 volt supply to your dash. Give me your year model of your car.Is this your 68 dart that is giving us a fit? :coffee2:

sounds like something going to ground. if amp gauge going out, the car would die. if main fusible link was going out, the car would die. it seems to me that you have a loose connection under the dash. check the main welded splice under the dash, where the main feed from the bulkhead connector comes in. it splices off to your ignition switch, fuse box, amp gauge, and headlight switch. the headlight wire should be the thickest black wire going to the switch. check for power at this splice WHILE the problem is going on, then follow each wire until you find the problem. this is where a test light will be your best tool.

Yes it is my '68 dart giving me the problem, the clicking sounds like it is coming from the amp meter. The thing I do not get is that the fuel pump goes out and it is hooked to the starter relay along with my MSD 6al box but there are no drivability issues as far as ignition goes. I will check all your ideas at lunch today, and thanks again for everyones input!

Well, I hope I don't it doesn't rain here for a couple days because I found my clicking noise and it is the windshield wiper switch! I disconnected it and no more problem but my tach doesn't work anymore so I am going to check it out, any Ideas?? could it be that the problem is somewhere else and the electricity is following the path of least resistance?

I think I found the problem, Last year I did a ghetto wire job when I hooked up the tach and I missed it when I went throught the wiring two weeks ago so anyway the tach power wire is hooked to the windshield wiper motor on the ign side I am suspecting and anyways the wire had been cut and I hooked up the wire from the tach to it and did not cover it and it shorted against the body behind the brake pedal arm. I covered it up to test and no more clicking noise or power going away. The tach still does not work and I am wondering if I cooked it. I hope not because it is a decent one. It is a autogage "monster" tach with shift light. Does it have a fuse or something? :-|

Okay!! I am back again! bad hook up to the tach So I guess I will be going through the electrical agin next week after I move. Thanks again for all your help everyone!!!
I am also now finishing my 4.10 rear end and it will go in next month along with my slicks, subframe connectors and SS leaf springs hopefully I will see at least 13.55 again if not quicker!!

:wav: :wav: :toothy7: :toothy7:

Glad you are up and running. :coffee2:

-
Back