Another 340 build

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to start buying parts for my 340 build. This is what I have planned as far as what parts and prices. I need you small block gurus to chime in and throw in your approvals and recommendations. This will be a more street than strip car. Semi low budgeted build. Most of the labor will be done by me and with the help of a friend at his shop.

This will serve as a wanted thread too, if you have something I can use pass it on.

1. Block: 68 Block, having it bored .060 over, honed and decked - $150
2. Crank: 340 Forged steel, might need cutting, if so... - $125
3. Intake: Professional Products Crosswind or Edelbrock if can bolt to EQ 318B heads - Warehouse $173
4. Head Gaskets: Fel-pro Q1008 4.180 bore .039 thick - $82
5. Heads: Engine Quest 318B bare - Warehouse $390 pair
5a. Valves: 2.02 1.62 magnum stainless valves - Ebay $121.85
5b. Springs and retainers: Beehive Comp cams 26995-16 kit - Warehouse $159
6. Roller Rockers - Stock magnum 1.6 rockers - $?
7. Lifters: Stock magnum? - $?
8. Push rods: - $?
9. Camshaft: - $?
10. Bearings (main, cam, rod) Clevites? - $?
11. Pistons: Keith Black Hyperutecnic zero decekd .060 over. - $?
12. Timing chain: Double roller - Ebay $43
13. Oil Pump and tube: Melling High Volume Oil Pump - Warehouse $90
14. Valve covers: Mopar performance or custom fab. - $115?
15. Rods: Reusing Stock 340
15a. ARP rod bolts - $40
17. Carburetor: Holley 750 Double Pumper - Good used one, - $?
18. Headers: Used TTI's - $?
19. Gasket kit: Fel-pro -$?

Maybe
20. Bolts: ARP dress up bolts - $?

Some questions:
1. 340 had a 727 previously, but now will have a A-833 4 speed, what needs to be done to bolt that? Flywheel needs to be balanced same as converter weight?

2. Will I be okay at .060 over on the street? Should I have it sonic tested first? I'd prefer not to, to save money, but let me know what yall think.

I would get the EQ castings that accept the LA intake pattern. I think its 318C? LA intakes have much better variety.

You may have to machine the heads to take those springs, and you should probably pick your cam first. Dont forget to budget for retainers and locks.

LA intakes have much better variety.

You've got to have the pilot bushing for the 4 speed conversion. Other than that, no idea.

I'd pass on the high volume pump unless your builder specifies otherwise. That's a horsepower sucker.

I would skip the TTis personally. I was really unimpressed with the quality on a set I had. I guarantee my car make more power with the Hooker 1-5/8 than I would have with TTi headers.

You can't run stock Magnum hydraulic roller lifters in your 340. To do the magnum conversion business to a 340 you need a different length pushrod and oil through flat tappet lifters. You will also need to clearance the EQ heads for the flat tappet pushrod angle.

Have you looked into the RHS X heads? They work pretty good and you don't have the conversion BS to worry about.

To be honest if its predominately for the street, I would not do the Magnum conversion stuff. I'd just get either the RHS or go through some Js or Xs. Comp XE cam of reasonable size, performer RPM (non air gap for better cold start).

-
Back