Another 65 brake question

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
I know when my son and I upgrade the 65's drums to 73/later discs, I need the 73/later upper control arms - I'm good with that... Do I need the lower control arms as well?

If I just happen to come across a disc brake set up from a 70/72, do I need to change the upper arms?

I do have a 10 inch drum/spindle set up from an A body that would allow me to go 10" all the way around at no expense... looking for an honest opinion - is it worth changing to 10's on all 4 corners on his high school budget, or do the 10's not really make a difference?

Ok here goes.
If you use 73-76 A body disc brake spindles, you are correct that you need to use the 73-76 Upper control arms.
You DO NOT need to change the lower control arms, but you need to use lower ball joints for the 73-76 cars.
Now, if you ever come across a 65-72 disc brake set up, you don't have to change any of the control arms. They are the same.
But you would have to use the lower ball joints from that disc brake set up,or drill your drum brake ball joints mounting bolt holes out to 9/16 inch.

A properly maintained 10 inch drum setup stops pretty good. I have 10's on my 65 Cuda right now, and after going through them they are pretty good.

I just got a set of Firm Feel's high performance shoes today. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to put them on, but I will post a review when I get them installed & broken in.

I would put the 10 inchers on, since they are in your hand.

B.

-
Back