Another 727 question

-

volaredon

Reaction score
I know where there's a small block 727 out of a ~63 or 64 pick up. If this trans was original to the truck, what differences would there be in a 727 of that vintage compared to the later 70s and newer ones that I'm more familiar with?
What would be interchangeable between such an early one and the later ones? Were all early versions cable shift and ball + trunnion style?

And if I'm not mistaken, the input shaft had a different spline count and used a smaller nose on the torque convertor (crank flange pocket was smaller).
I know these were different on the early 904s, and I believe there were similar differences in the 727s. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken on this.

Not much is interchangeable. Maybe some clutches and drums and such. THe case is totally different as is the valve body. I believe the input shaft has a different spline count too, not 100% sure on that. And of course, they are cable shifted. I have an early cable shifted 727 for a slant 6. I'm sure I'll never use it, but I have it and that kept it from gettin scrapped at least.

I thought that the smaller snout was only on 904s that were destined for behind the/6?

This trans is behind a /6, all I'm wanting from it is the /6 to small block trans adapter that's sandwiched between them, the /6 and the 727 would be up for sale once again once I got that plate out from between them. I don't want to have to struggle to pass these along and get at least most of my money back in selling the motor and trans. Probably separately, I'm guessing.
if the old 727 isn't all that desirable, I recon I'd have a tough time reselling?

And as Rusty said I would hope I wouldn't have to scrap the leftovers once I got what I want from it, that I could pass them along to someone else who could get some use from them

I thought that the smaller snout was only on 904s that were destined for behind the/6?
Nope. All of them including smallblocks.
That's why I assume the 727s have the small snout, since Chrysler most likely wouldn't invest in a differently machined crank just for 727 equipped vehicles.

This trans is behind a /6, all I'm wanting from it is the /6 to small block trans adapter that's sandwiched between them, the /6 and the 727 would be up for sale once again once I got that plate out from between them. I don't want to have to struggle to pass these along and get at least most of my money back in selling the motor and trans. Probably separately, I'm guessing.
if the old 727 isn't all that desirable, I recon I'd have a tough time reselling?

And as Rusty said I would hope I wouldn't have to scrap the leftovers once I got what I want from it, that I could pass them along to someone else who could get some use from them
Again, if I'm not mistaken; there are 2 parts to the adapter: the block spacer and a crank flange spacer.
Something you may need to deal with is the crank spacer. If the crank spacer is bored for the smaller convertor snout, you will need to have it bored out to use a later large snout convertor.
Trucks of that vintage also used a non standard 3 bolt direct drive starter (similar to the first of the second gen 4 spd. hemis) on the small and big block versions, but I'm not sure about the slants. Just something to keep in mind.

Yup I'm not worried about having to modify the crank spacer or make a new one off if the one sandwiches in there right now as long as I can use the existing one as a model to go off of.

I know they used the SB starter location too.
I ve seen a lot of talk about finding one of these adapters to be able to have a wider selection of transmission options behind a /6. I've never seen any talk about a regular Mopar gear reduction type starter working or not working for such a conversion, it hasn't come up. But since the starter actually bolts to the trans, I'd think any starter that would fit whatever the trans came from would work for something like this. No?

Well this is from a CL ad about 20 min from my work. I've emailed the seller via CL reply and all I have so far is that he wants to sell as a package deal. IF I was to buy a 63-64 /6-727 combo would anyone be interested in splitting it with me? The engine would be up for grabs as would be the trans.
I don't remember the pan configuration but I do remember someone here recently looking for a 69s truck pan of which I seem to remember being described as a front sump vs the 70s-80s /6 truck being a rear sump.

-
Back