Another 8 3/4 pattern question

-

Mysons68dart

Reaction score
So I'm setting up my 741SG This was a used case I bought from the Spring fling I'm sure somebody had already replace these gears they have a 1995 stamp on them so I removed the old bearing It has the .091 Spacer under the bearing and I am using the Gear set I wish I could Put a lower gear in it but don't have the bucks right now so I'm going to re install this 323 Set From what I understand from the forum if I use the old set I don't have to worry about reshaping the pinion depth but I don't know if this was ever set up right to begin with so I honed to new koyo Bearing and Installed The pinion with out the main spacer between the 2 bearings tightened up the nut to take the play out then set up the backlash at .008 So my question is by looking at the pattern I know I need to decrease the spacer thickness to bring the pinion depth deeper I can take this spacer and put it on a magnetic table grinder and take off as much as I want how much do you guys think I need to go I was thinking of going .010 or .020 ? If i go .020 And it's too much I can always put a shim back in it

2nd question if I use a koyo set up bearing will there be any difference if I use a timken As a run bearing? I would not think there would be that big of a tolerance difference between manufacturers but just throwing it out there to see what you guys think.

And last Question my Torque wrench only goes to a 150 pounds is there a way you guys torque the pinion nut to 240 pounds without having to go buy another torque wrench . Thanks for all your help in advance.
20190508_133344.jpg
20190508_133335.jpg

should be minimal difference in dimensions between the 2 bearing brands -- but since you have to make a shim change check your pattern after installing the bearing you are going to use for the final set up-
Make shim changes in .003 increments
why not just buy a 741 case pinion shim kit from Ratech Manufacturing # 1109 ( $13.00 ) - available directly from Ratech or thru Summit Racing

rule of thumb for 8-3/4 and Salisbury type differentials ( cover on back of housing )
-- on the drive side of tooth too much toe ( bottom of tooth ) subtract shim
-- on the drive side of tooth too much heel ( top of tooth ) add shim
get the drive side correct and the coast side will follow.

Last edited:
should be minimal difference in dimensions between the 2 bearing brands -- but since you have to make a shim change check your pattern after installing the bearing you are going to use for the final set up-
Make shim changes in .003 increments
why not just buy a 741 case pinion shim kit from Ratech Manufacturing # 1109 ( $13.00 ) - available directly from Ratech or thru Summit Racing

rule of thumb for 8-3/4 and Salisbury type differentials ( cover on back of housing )
-- on the drive side of tooth too much toe ( bottom of tooth ) subtract shim
-- on the drive side of tooth too much heel ( top of tooth ) add shim
get the drive side correct and the coast side will follow.
Thanks john that really helps !

Thanks john that really helps !

A 3 foot pipe on my 1/2 drive breaker bar with my 200lbs bouncing on the end of it is about right for the torque.:D
If you have the crush sleeve eliminator that 240 being perfect isn't critical as long as your pinion still turns within it's suggested spec.
Never had one fail or come loose.

-
Back