Another alternator upgrade thread

-
If you haven't, I'd bypass the bulkhead and all that stuff first.

My car wouldn't keep up and I was going to jump through the same hoops.

Bypassed the bulk head and it's fine now (I did end up using a stock magnum alternator with my 5.9 when the old motor puked, but the old alternator was great once it stopped dumping current through the bulkhead).

Might give it a shot just to see how much you really are short.

If you haven't, I'd bypass the bulkhead and all that stuff first.

My car wouldn't keep up and I was going to jump through the same hoops.

Bypassed the bulk head and it's fine now (I did end up using a stock magnum alternator with my 5.9 when the old motor puked, but the old alternator was great once it stopped dumping current through the bulkhead).

Might give it a shot just to see how much you really are short.

What do you mean by bypassing the bulk head? Did you do that for all the wires or just the ones going to he ampmeter?

Maybe this should be in another thread but when using a fuse able link is that a special wire or just a smaller gauge wire? Could I just use an inline fuse instead?

Fusible link wire is special wire with a high temperature insulation. If you are using a stock alternator you can replace it with a 50 amp Maxi-Fuse in a NAPA NW 784482 holder. That is roughly equivalent to the 16 gauge fusible link used originally but a whole lot easier to replace if needed. IF you are running a larger than stock alternator you have to size the fuse or fusible link accordingly.

-
Back