Another Aussie

-

blownhemi

Reaction score
Hi guys, heard there was a forum just for A-bodies and I thought I better come check it out.

I've got a couple of A bodies which are a little different to what you US guys would have seen before, a 1970 station wagon and a 1969 Utility (pick-up). I'm just finishing off the wagon now, it'll be using a 4-litre turbocharged six (Aussie Hemi six), and I'm just about to embark on a blown slant six build-up for the Utility.

Look closely at the engine bays you see the A-body resemblance straight away.

Anyway, here's some pics to whet the appetite.

The ute first.

DSC_3496.jpg

DSC_3510.jpg

DSC_3515.jpg

DSC_3498.jpg

hey welcome aboard there blownhemi! the pickup looks like a 65 chevy chevelle in the rear. the wagon i just can't place. both are very cool though...nice to have ya here :salut:

Welcome welcome blownhemi,You have a grate pair there
you where right,
somthing I have never seen,and injoyed very mutch.
can you tell this Arkansas man how the slant is a hemi.I want one.
I am glad you have made it here,I will go to your home away from home,
and get back to ya. injoy and take a look around this site and I will be talkin to ya later. :thumblef:

memike.1 said:
Welcome welcome blownhemi,You have a grate pair there
you where right, somthing I have never seen,and injoyed very mutch.
can you tell this Arkansas man how the slant is a hemi.I want one.

I think someone has put the wrong aircleaner on the car at some point in it's life, the Ute hasn't been road registered since 1991. The aircleaner top actually says HEMI 215 in reference to the short lived 215 cube Hemi six but it's quite obviously a slant. :thumblef:

With people doing things like this, it's not hard to see how the general public get confused when dealing with these cars and you get people saying things like "Yeah, my dad had one of those Hemi slants."

You can see what the Hemi six looks like in the wagon photo's, this particular engine is a 245 cube Hemi and once it goes through registration (hopefully this week) I will be bolting on the turbo system.

DSC_6470.jpg

Nah, the wheels actually suck...but the cars are good. :)

These are the wheels that are going on the wagon, 18x8-inch without being to blingy.

DSC_6542.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. The wagon is almost ready for registration, hopefully that happens tomorrow and i'll finished the turbo blow-through set-up, and then it's on to the ute.

I'm a sucker for punishment

I wish Chrysler would hjave made A body wagons here in the states.
Always thought it would be cool wagon to slam around here.
Would love to have one to convert with a valiant or Duster front end.
Just cant afford to import one.

The wagons are great for getting freaky with your girlfriend in the backseat! Welcome to the site, we`re going international!

Welcome! Those Aussie Hemi Six's do they actually a Hemi engine or is that just a badge they used as a seling point, cause the valve covers don't look have the plug wire going through them? Must admit that I know nothing about Aussie Mopars except they didn't have alot of V8's.

72_Durstya said:
Welcome! Those Aussie Hemi Six's do they actually a Hemi engine or is that just a badge they used as a seling point, cause the valve covers don't look have the plug wire going through them? Must admit that I know nothing about Aussie Mopars except they didn't have alot of V8's.
You can have a hemi without the plug being in the center of the valve cover. The camber just has to be half round. Although we all associate the Hemi with center mounted spark plug, me included.
The new Hemi is being called a not true Hemi from some people because of the opposite reason. The plug is in the center but the chamber is not half round. I don't care either way, 5.7 liters, 345hp, 20mpg sounds good to me.

I dig your ute I would kill to have one, I wish they made those in the states. I dig the right hand drive stuff. WELCOME.

If "hemi" means a hemispherical chamber..then yes.

The Hemi six started life as a potential truck engine known as the D engine. Chrysler Australia adotped the design because they thought a Big six would work well in Austalia due to our "English" car heritage.

The engine came in 215,245 and 265 cubes, featured a hemi chamber, canted valves (15 deg) but the plugs still locate in the side of the block.

What it DID have was huge valves (2.01 intake) and ports for a 6 cyl., and 7 main bearings making it an easy hot rodder.

The hottest factory engine produced 300GHP and ran a set of triple weber side draught carbs......producing a 14.4 qtr in the production vehicle.

Hope this helps.... :thumblef:

-
Back