Another auto-to-manual swap

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
My stock A-904 has started slipping and I'm sick of driving cars with automatic transmission so I'm thinking of converting my car to a 4-speed. I searched for other threads about conversion to manual, but I want to know what parts I will need and how much it will cost if I use a hydraulic clutch setup (the fab'd one using OEM import truck parts) and aftermarket clutch (McLeod, Centerforce, etc.). My car is currently column-shift, will I need a different column or can I just modify this one? I've heard of the crank needing to be modified on auto-trans cars as well, does anybody have any pics of what it should look like to accept a manual trans input shaft? And I want to go with a non-OD A-833; how much do those usually cost for the core + rebuild (or an already-working trans)? I know I will have to lose the 7 1/4" rear and in the process upgrade to BBP but that's something else.

There are tons of threads "here" that splain everything for the swap. Take the time to read all of the posts.

Why a hydraulic clutch?

just do a search on here...already tons of threads on this...id say look to spend at least 1500 on tranny and all the parts you need...and im gonna say thats not including the clutch as well...the column can just be modified, you dont need a new one altogether, although a manual column wont have the letters for P, R, D, etc. on the top of it as far as i know, so it depends what look your after

oh and as far as hydraulic clutch i say your probably looking at even more money, even if its off an import truck from say a scrapyard

-
Back