another cooling question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Where on a 440 can I install a temp sender. The plug in the front by the water pump will not come out. I tried with an impact and it still wont budge. I am planning on putting a Spal fan on here and need a sending unit to do it. I want to keep the factory hooked up as a backup. I guess I could take the hoses off for the heater and stick in in there as I don't drive this in cold weather. Anywhere else.

Last edited:
Where on a 440 can I install a temp sender. The plug in the front by the water pump will not come out. I tried with an impact and it still wont budge. I am planning on putting a Spal fan on here and need a sending unit to do it. I want to keep the factory hooked up as a backup. I guess I could take the hoses off for the heater and stick in in there as I don't drive this in cold weather. Anywhere else.
it makes me wonder if someone installed the pipe plug with red loctite. When I was young, I made that mistake. You have to use heat along with the impact, and it may destroy the fitting, or the pump housing, or both.

On the block there should be pipe plugs just forward of the center freeze plug. That's where I installed the temp sensor for my after market gauge which also controls my digital fan control.

On the block there should be pipe plugs just forward of the center freeze plug. That's where I installed the temp sensor for my after market gauge which also controls my digital fan control.

Ok, I will check that out. will that give you a pretty accurate reading for you.

it makes me wonder if someone installed the pipe plug with red loctite. When I was young, I made that mistake. You have to use heat along with the impact, and it may destroy the fitting, or the pump housing, or both.

That is what I was afraid of. I figured if my impact, which is a monster couldn't take it out, I wasn't gonna keep trying .last thing I wanted to do was bust that housing. Probably couldn't heat it without destroying the seals so I figured it would have to go somewhere else.I pulled the sending unit out from the factory location but the unit on the new gauge was too big to go in that little hole so that place is not going to work. Will try the plug that Dubob suggested. Thanks

That is what I was afraid of. I figured if my impact, which is a monster couldn't take it out, I wasn't gonna keep trying .last thing I wanted to do was bust that housing. Probably couldn't heat it without destroying the seals so I figured it would have to go somewhere else.I pulled the sending unit out from the factory location but the unit on the new gauge was too big to go in that little hole so that place is not going to work. Will try the plug that Dubob suggested. Thanks
I`ve got a fast 2.0 set up on my 68 fastback, w/ all kinds of temp. senders for everything. w/ the heater hoses also , elec. fans., gauges, etc.. I used a s.steel tee in one of the heater hose lines for one of the senders, works fine.

-
Back