Another cooling system thread

-

Grabmyhammer

Reaction score
Hello again everyone, now that I got my suspension figured out it's not time I address my cars cooling. It works alight but I'm frankly not happy with it. It could be way better, so I've been looking on this thread and I found a thread on mounting a stock shroud on a 22 inch champion and I really like with what he has done. But I would like to know what clutch fan he had used or maybe you're guy's suggestions as I'm fairly new at this. Right now the car has a cheap aluminum radiator that fits poorly, to the point where the upper hose almost contacts the battery hold down. And with no shroud and a fixed fan I just think it's rather inefficient. Here is what it currently looks like.

20240304_162442.jpg

20240304_162513.jpg

IMHO

Ditch the aluminum radiator and get an OEM style (or good used OEM) copper brass (C/B) radiator.

US radiator makes OEM style C/B radiators

You spec the amount of cooling you want and they can build you a radiator to suit.

As for shroud... There is an aftermarket OEM style that will fit your engine and car.

There are several clutch fans you can use but you do not need it.

NOW...

For the real questions....

What engine?
What car?
What year
What modifications?
I see an aluminum water pump which would be 70 up so your radiator needs to have the correct side inlet and outlet.

Why do you think you need better cooling?

What are your measurements and observations?

I guess I should have said what the car was lol. It's a 1972 plymouth duster, it's has a 360 in it. And why I want to do this is for the fact that I want to modify the the car. Nothing to crazy right now but I wanna make sure when I get heavier into the modifications the cooling system and drive train can handle the power. I look at a fixed fan with no shroud as I said before not really efficient. I have checked out a couple threads onto copper vs aluminum and electric fan vs clutch fans, vs fixed fans. And I have a good idea for what I want in the car. But I would like to know if there are people running something similar to what I wanna do and justsee what others think of it as I am open to other ideas

I should clarify before people call me out when I said fixed fans aren't efficient. I know the are the best when it comes to cooling. But I want something to free up some power but still has the cfm to do the job.

Factory radiator, fixed fan. If you think you're gonna notice a power difference running a clutch fan you are REALLY reaching...

-
Back