Another engine ID mystery.

-

jbsteel4

Reaction score
My '68 Valiant has what appears to be a later 70's slant six as it is the hydraulic lifter version. There are no ID/serial numbers stamped in the usual places. The valve cover (black) has a sticker with 4105 in small numbers and 853 in big numbers. Any help on the engine ID? Thanks JS

Welcome aboard.

Pictures are very helpful

As @A56 stated. Should be casting numbers. Grab some pictures on the exhaust side of the block

Sounds much like the original engine that was in my 85 D150. It didn't have the stamping on the deck, and I can guarantee that engine has never been apart since manufactured.
I had difficulty finding out the same info on it as the op is looking for.
I had heard that production of the /6 shifted to mexico in the later years and some of the well known ways to ID a /6 went out the window at that point....

The 225 engine in my 84-D100 has numbers on the front of the block on the flat surface between the water pump and the deck surface. I didn't bother to clean that area good enough to get a clear read, because I don't care what it says. It is a '80's hydraulic engine, and that's all I need to know.
PS: If it is a hydraulic lifter engine it is most likely 81 or newer. Very few hydraulic engines were factory installed in the late '70's.

Last edited:
The sticker is the part number. There really isn't much else to learn since we know that all of them were cast-crank, hydraulic lifter 225 engines by then.

I had a '68 also. What engine is your car coded for in the VIN? Check the 5th digit...if it's an A it originally had a 170 like my car did, if it's B then a 225. The 170 in my car was long gone.

VIN is VL41B8B.... but I know it's not the original engine since it's hydraulic. I was just hoping to zero in on the year.

-
Back