Another fine mess...75 Dart Swinger...

-
My latest fight is with the wipers, the little plastic bushing for the wiper arms disintegrated, so now I have no wipers. I tried to use replacement auto store bushings, but they dont seem to fit, I am looking for suggestions. How hard is it to covert to the earlier clip style?

Haven't seen this thread in a while ,looks like you've made some great progress.I really like what you've done with the interior!Especially the custom door panels .Awesome job ! :cheers:Keep the pics coming .

Very Nice Flyboy!!!!
Don't do a thing to it. Some seat covers and your good to go!!!

My latest fight is with the wipers, the little plastic bushing for the wiper arms disintegrated, so now I have no wipers. I tried to use replacement auto store bushings, but they dont seem to fit, I am looking for suggestions. How hard is it to covert to the earlier clip style?

Ridiculously hard.
My wipers were messed up when I bought the car, and I have yet to get them perfect.
I honestly just dont use them, thats how I get around them not working.

No one reproduces the clip, and I've yet to be able to successfully remove them off of a car in a junkyard.
I tried to reproduce them myself with washers and a couple of different clip styles, but had NO luck doing so.
So unfortunately, I just deal with not having windshield wipers by not driving the car in the rain.

You can findd them in parts stores. I found mine in the help section at autozone ^ They are a very tight fit but i got mine in with pliers.

I got the wiper fixed finally, used the bushing made by HELP, i had to pull the wiper motor to get the bushing pressed on to the arm hard enough, I was able to get channel locks on the drivers side bushing. Good news, car is inspected and now legal to drive again! WOO HOO!

lookin good flyboy! the interior transformation is amazing! i was wondering if you have any more pics of the cluster that you can post up...it looks really nice from those pictures

What cluster? THe stock one?

100_3391.jpg

100_3374.jpg

My B&M quicksilver shifter is jammed in drive, I cant get it out, I had a StarShifter in the garage I swapped in until I can figure out if I can fix the Quicksilver. It never ends does it.

Its painted, the stock chrome wore off, the silver paint is actually not that great up close, I plan on replacing the cluster in the future anyway,

I have only had 1 quiksilver jam up on me. I bet it is in the detent on the driver side of the shifter. This one jammed if you went below drive into 1 or 2 and tried to manually shift. There was a little clip that had to be moved easily and then it was fine.

Glad to hear the car is coming along.

I have only had 1 quiksilver jam up on me. I bet it is in the detent on the driver side of the shifter. This one jammed if you went below drive into 1 or 2 and tried to manually shift. There was a little clip that had to be moved easily and then it was fine.

Glad to hear the car is coming along.

Yup, thats exactly the problem. I will take a look for that clip.

I want you to know that your build has really inspired me.
My car has a tan interior that I've half changed to black.
I've been very apprehensive about pulling the dash apart to cover the dashpad/paint the dash for fear of breaking everything and not being able to put it back together.
I've got so much upholstery/interior experience it isn't funny though, and its killing me to drive around in a car that I KNOW I could redo if I had the balls to pull it apart.
Seeing your build and seeing it pulled apart the way you did, with the wood painted black, the custom door panels, and the repainted cluster, its got me in the mood to do some modding.
I guess if I break something, I'll have the great guys here at FABO to turn to...

Well, after a month of trying to get the tuning on the carb perfect, I finally got it. I had a hesitation anytime you cracked the throttle blades, high or low rpm. I bought a wideband Air/Fuel meter, and fiddled with all the adjustements, rod, jets, pump shot to no avail. FInally I posted the problem on Big Block Dart, and Jim Lusk came to the rescue, he suggested that the vaccum advance was plugged into manifold rather than ported vaccuum, which caused the timing to retard everytime I cracked the throttle. He was right, I made a 10 seconf change yesterday and it worked! Problem solved! Thanks Jim.

I then recovered the door panels. Since the old panels had huge speaker holes in them and there were some cracks and tears in the vinyl, I made some new panels out of 1/4" by tracing the old panels onto the new ones, cut them out with a jigsaw, attached foam, cut out a pattern I liked, then covered them, using Super 90 adhesive.

i was wondering what type of foam did u use, and where did ya get it at also what type of wood did u use?

i was wondering what type of foam did u use, and where did ya get it at also what type of wood did u use?

actually I used 1/8 wood, and I used a craft foam that was 1/8", but I recommend doubling up or I should have just used more wood for the shapes. I got the foam, vinyl, abd glue at Joanne Fabrics. (yes...I felt gay walking in there, I was afraid somebody would see me)

actually I used 1/8 wood, and I used a craft foam that was 1/8", but I recommend doubling up or I should have just used more wood for the shapes. I got the foam, vinyl, abd glue at Joanne Fabrics. (yes...I felt gay walking in there, I was afraid somebody would see me)

haha thanks ill just bring my mom in there for an excusse:-D, and what do u mean by the shapes?

I think it might be time to sell my 75 Dart, I really need to get back to my 68 and give it some love too.

-
Back