Another for the assembly line goof file

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys: As you can see from my signature, I have 2 A-bodies. Both '73's but totally opposite. The first is a Dart Sport which is V8 powered, AC, automatic, bucket seats, console, etc, built 4/73 at Dodge main. The second is a base model Valiant 4-door which is a Slant-powered column-shift 3spd car built 9/72 at Windsor.

Today I found a goof on the Valiant. I noticed after I bought it that it had the usual single-note horn, same as the Dart, but it was the silly sounding HI note instead of the LO every other one I've had came with. Today was "protective coat" the battery tray day on the Valiant, so I took a look at the horn situation.

What appears to have happened is that they started to build it with the wrong dual horn option, which it wasn't supposed to have. The HI note horn was mounted in the front with the bolt through the core support instead of the single LO note horn in the rear mounted to the battery tray support like the Dart and others had it. The car has 50K miles on it and the horn never looks to have been removed. So I guess when they realized the mistake they simply left the HI note horn as it was.

I can tell the lady that bought it new special ordered it, because it had an AM/FM radio and the velour seat inserts which I have never seen on another one. Both are coded on the broadcast sheet. Just thought I would share.

-
Back