Another Header Question

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
Need some help........here's the deal. I'll be putting a 414 (stroked 340) in my 73 Duster soon. I would really like to run a 1 3/4" primary header but I've seen this discussed on other threads and looks like the possibility may be slim of finding one that will fit. For example, I notice that the #5204 Hooker Super Comps are listed to fit up through 72 and assume they would not work on a 73 due to spool type mount K member. I've seen others say that other brands such as Hedman won't fit with certain oil pans (mine is Milodon low profile). Bottom line.......can someone name a 1 3/4" header that they KNOW will fit a spool type K member with a Milodon low profile oil pan? Also, car is manual steering, and four speed.

Thanks

My 5204s didnt clear my oil pan. Even after wacking them with a hammer for awhile. Others had better luck. TTIs will clear everything. Its cheaper to buy them once then to buy 3 sets beat them to clear and still have them not fit.

dustertogo; I will check with a buddy this weekend, but he put those on his 75 Dart Sport. I dont think the K member had been changed to a pre 73 biscuit style. I ditched my low profile Milodon pan to get them to fit on my 72, I got a Moroso as a replacement. Since I got the 5204's on a trade I didnt mind the expenditure for another pan and pickup, plus I sold the Milodon pan and pickup. It got to be quite a project as I had to dump the PS for manual steering also. It was all worth it as the performance increase was substantial, and plug and starter access was better than the Hedman 1 5/8" jobs.

#5204 is that the multipiece headers?
have a set of those lying in my garage and there is no chanse that the driver side header will ever work with my 73 K-frame since the tube from cylinder #1 goes straightdown into the swaybar and the brackets holding it in place on the K-member, they may work if you build a new #1tube basicly all the way and if you find any space for it...

duster340 said:
#5204 is that the multipiece headers?
have a set of those lying in my garage and there is no chanse that the driver side header will ever work with my 73 K-frame since the tube from cylinder #1 goes straightdown into the swaybar and the brackets holding it in place on the K-member, they may work if you build a new #1tube basicly all the way and if you find any space for it...

yes those are the ones. What if you remove the sway bar ?

IM000720.jpg

IM000720.jpg

Adam, Just checked with dartdoc, the 5204's fit perfect after removing the swaybar on his 76 Dart as you suggested to dustertogo. Another PS unit bit the dust on that project also, he uses a stock pan so no problem

Thanks guys for the info. At least now I kind of have an idea of what I need to do.

AdamR said:
yes those are the ones. What if you remove the sway bar ?

IM000720.jpg

not realy sure actualy,havent looked that far, i just found them for the right price a few years back and bought them and ended up with TTI anyway, just thought that it was a good idea´to at least point out a reason why they dont work since most people want to know why and not just that they dont fit... but that was good to know if i end up using them at some point :D
thanks

IM000720.jpg

-
Back