Another intake queston

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
What do you all think about the original Edelbrock Torker 340? I just got this months Mopar Muscle mag and in the back tech section Steve Dulcich answered a reader and I quote "The Edelbrock Torker is junk. I've tested it and it makes less power than a good two plane like the Edelbrock RPM or Air gap".

Have any of you guys out there had any experiences with the Torker good or bad? I used the Torker mainly because it came with the car, was like new, and I always heard good things about them. Are they that out dated? I had already figured the air gap makes more power but is it that much better?

I don't know about the Torker but my truck had a Holley Street Dominator (similar design) on a warmed over 318. I pulled it and put on a stock 360 EGR manifold (some stock car guy said they were the best flow factory intake) and its like night and day. Mileage improved, it runs smoother, and I can roast the 35's off at will- before it would just kind of feel sick until it got some RPM.

I've never heard of the original Torker getting any compliments. The Torker II seems ok, as shown by a Mopar Muscle dyno test a while back. But the original is an obsolete design.

When you start making big changes to an engine, like comparing single plane and dual plane intakes, it often requires a different tune-up to the carb - jetting, squirters, etc. to get the most out ot THAT particular intake. Basically, a carb that works well on a dual plane can be lean on a single plane intake.

There are a wide variety of dual plane intakes, larger and smaller ports/internal volumes. But they tend to work very well in most applications.
You will get better results by being a little conservative.

Very true words by Locomotion.
The old Torker is a dated intake. Edel. stop making them years ago. It'll make a nice peice to hang on the wall behind the bar.
The TorkerII isn't to bad. It has typical single plane problems. (Fuel disitrbution and low RPM torque)
The intake starts to equal the RPM in the higher RPM range. But is still a tick behind it there.
Your best bet is a new dual plane like the RPM series or Stealth. If the need for a single plane is there, I'd look at the M-1 for most applications.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a feeling that's what I was gonna hear. I've got a b'day coming up next month so I guess I'll have to tell the misses I need a new intake instead of speakers. I'd rather listen to the pipes and tires scream anyway. he-he.

My main interest is cruisin but since the track is just a few miles down the road I plan on running some so it sounds like I'm gonna have to check into the RPM or Steath.

I have the old Torker 340 on my 340 and have ran an 11.78 on it but that was back in the early 90s. I think its time I upgrade. I would love to put my stock intake back on but my engine sees 8,000rpm. What would be a good way to go for me?

unless you are revving 8000rpm, an LD340 intake works awesome. I have found for on the street a dual plane intake is the way to go. Lots of bottom end torque. Even the stock 340 cast iron intake works well on the street.

1968FormulaS340 said:
I have the old Torker 340 on my 340 and have ran an 11.78 on it but that was back in the early 90s. I think its time I upgrade. I would love to put my stock intake back on but my engine sees 8,000rpm. What would be a good way to go for me?
Decided what you really want out of it. 11.78 with a Victor or street cruising.

How is the Edelbrock Tm5? I'd assume it's about as good as the torker. I just got a Air Gap RPM so I'm not going to use the Tm5 I got tossed in to the deal when I bought a car. I'm just wondering if it's worth saving for a future project.

The RPM is gonna kick it's A$$ all over the pavement. Once you get a chance to run both intakes on the car, you'll answer this question best and firmly with conviction.
I think you'll be saying something like,"That there on the wall collecting dust, yea, LOL it used to be something, now it's a museum peice. I use it in a pinch I guess."

-
Back