Another leak.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Was under the Duster this morning and notice another Leak, on the 904.The first 1 is the pan gasket i think it must be the pan,it has the best gasket money can buy,I have had a good look its the pan for sure,now the 1 has has me piss off is from the front pump seal, its only a drip or 2 after driving,hope it does not get worse befor I pull the 318 to put in the 360 this winter.I hate leaks.First car i have had leaks in years,and it did not leak nothing befor the trans go 2 shift kit went in.

Damn shift kits anyway. :D
If you have the same gasket I do (the good rubber over steel one's) it's REALLY important to have a flat pan rail.
Mine leaked just a little when I first put it on (just a little wet on the corner) but tightening it up just a hair more did it, but this is the one and only reason I might opt for a cast pan.

I have a drip I have to fix this weekend also.
The speedo gear shaft seal that I didn't know about till the cable touched a muffler and got a hole in the casing. (dammit) :D
Brand new extra length cable for the 42RH too. (did I say dammit?) LOL

On the more positive side I took the car to 110 Friday for 10-12 miles for a high speed shakedown and had another gear and 3/4 throttle left at somewhere near 2,800 RPM's.
The rear tires are getting kinda thin and anything faster just wasn't worth the risk.

If you ever hear of a suspected meteor hit and giant dust cloud somewhere in AZ it was probably me

Last edited:
If its the pan gasket, it was surely over torqued at some point in its life. It's very easy to do as they don't take much. Simpley drop the pan and use a steel ruler to check if its flat. Often you will see them dimpled around the bolt holes. You can use a brass drift etc and tap it from the back side to flatten it back out. I have done that to dozen's of Humvee oil/x-fer case pans. I'm not a fan of cast pans. One ding and they can crack and leave you stranded vs just a dent. The other thing to think about is how often you drive her. If she is just a weekend cruiser, leaks will happen. She has to be used for the seals to stay supple.

Damn shift kits anyway. :D
If you have the same gasket I do (the good rubber over steel one's) it's REALLY important to have a flat pan rail.
Mine leaked just a little when I first put it on (just a little wet on the corner) but tightening it up just a hair more did it, but this is the one and only reason I might opt for a cast pan.

I have a drip I have to fix this weekend also.
The speedo gear shaft seal that I didn't know about till the cable touched a muffler and got a hole in the casing. (dammit) :D
Brand new extra length cable for the 42RH too. (did I say dammit?) LOL

On the more positive side I took the car to 110 Friday for 10-12 miles for a high speed shakedown and had another gear and 3/4 throttle left at somewhere near 2,800 RPM's.
The rear tires are getting kinda thin and anything faster just wasn't worth the risk.

If you ever hear of a suspected meteor hit and giant dust cloud somewhere in AZ it was probably me
well i will keep any 1 eye open lol.

If its the pan gasket, it was surely over torqued at some point in its life. It's very easy to do as they don't take much. Simpley drop the pan and use a steel ruler to check if its flat. Often you will see them dimpled around the bolt holes. You can use a brass drift etc and tap it from the back side to flatten it back out. I have done that to dozen's of Humvee oil/x-fer case pans. I'm not a fan of cast pans. One ding and they can crack and leave you stranded vs just a dent. The other thing to think about is how often you drive her. If she is just a weekend cruiser, leaks will happen. She has to be used for the seals to stay supple.
iT GETS driven like once a week.

iT GETS driven like once a week.

it does now, but has it always?

I assume you put in fresh fluid when you did the shift kit. As it contains detergents, fresh fluid can sometimes open up a small leak that was previously contained by grime..

it does now, but has it always?

I assume you put in fresh fluid when you did the shift kit. As it contains detergents, fresh fluid can sometimes open up a small leak that was previously contained by grime..
All new fluid pump seal,gearshift seal,and the rubber/steel pan gasket.

Steel pans. I made a little deal out of a nut and bolt and some thick washers to tighten up over the bolt hole and not just flatten it but push it out the other way. Works well. Hammer was to noisy anyways.

-
Back