Another Lost To The Ages...

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I watched the NHRA race coverage yesterday from the Mile High Nationals at Bandimere. During John Force's interview after he won the Funny Car class, he got a little emotional when he mentioned having just lost his cousin, Dave Condit.

View attachment Scan10028.jpg

My 'ex' and I used to hang out with the Condit brothers, Billy, Dave, and Stephen, their family and their "Condit Bros." beautiful Plymouth Arrow funny car when they raced at OCIR back in the 70s. Dave won the 1974 SuperNationals at Ontario Raceway driving the Plueger & Gyger Ford Funny Car beating Ed "The Ace" McCulloch in the final. Dave also drove the "L.A. Hooker" series of funny cars for his uncle, Gene Beaver.
Billy Condit passed back in 2005.
Fuel racing was so different back then. Not like today's big-bucks operations, the Condits maintained their funny car out of their parents 2-car home garage.
RIP, Dave. Fire up that funny car and rattle Heaven's gates!

I used to go to OCIR with my cousin and her friends in the mid 70's when I'd visit from Minnesota. Saw the LA Hooker car and many others. Seemed like every other week they had a big funny car show with Beadle, Condit, Prudhomme, McEwen back then. Have a ton of photos here somewhere.

A few photos from Indy and Orange County. Late 70's and early 80's.

Attachments

• ConditBros_Indy.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 202
  • LAHooker_ConditBros_OCIR.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 173
  • LAHooker_OCIR_1977.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 188
-
Back