Another Magnum > LA question - head bolts

-

dfoyl

Reaction score
What head bolts have others fitted to Magnum heads on LA blocks ? - the Mopar set I have been quoted $105 (I would assume the set of 10) from a dealer. I believe they need to be National Coarse thread grade 8 or better. Is there a better and/or cheaper option ?

Thanks,

Dean.

Check out Rock Auto. I got a set of Fel Pro magnum head bolts for both sides for $25.00, plus shipping.

dgc333 - TY, $63 appears to be their price for MP parts.
DusterBoy15 - I can't see them for $48 either
bobscuda67 - TY, that looks like a great price (they're a bit hard to find in their online catalog, they olny appear under certain years of the Magnum run :toothy10:).
whitey - yes, they are longer than standard LA (I think the upper row is the same between LA and Magnum), and the 4th bolt back on the lower row (from LA) is the same length as the the lower Magnum lengths. The Summit photo shows one of those 5 lower bolts as being extra long, I'd have to look at my magnum's at home to confirm though...

One further question - the intake manifold gasket (I am using the Professional Products intake) must be a magnum gasket, correct (rather than a LA gasket) ? The gasket sets sold by Rock Auto and the like are a 2-piece set because the Magnum engines had a 2-piece intake (lower/upper). Do I order the set and just throw the upper gasket away ?

Thanks again all,

Dean.

Order the Edelbrock intake gaskets. They come with just the 2 gaskets that go between the intake and heads. Around $16. I got mine from Shucks Auto (partsamerica.com is the online location). Summit or JEGS didn't carry them.

One further question - the intake manifold gasket (I am using the Professional Products intake) must be a magnum gasket, correct (rather than a LA gasket) ? The gasket sets sold by Rock Auto and the like are a 2-piece set because the Magnum engines had a 2-piece intake (lower/upper). Do I order the set and just throw the upper gasket away ?

I have heard of folks using the LA gaskets on magnum heads but slotting the bolt holes so the vertical bolting fits. But if you still need to purchase gaskets i would get magnum specific ones just to avoid the hassle.

I purchased a set from my local dodge dealer. It had the two intake gaskets the gasket for the bottom plenum cover (not needed with anything but a stock magnum beer barrel intake) and to steel core rubber end gaskets. The end gaskets are a nice piece and seal very well, you just need to trim off the two locating nubs that fit into the stock manifold.

Over $100?

I paid $55 Canadian at my local Dodge dealer..

I just finished my magnum head conversion and purchased my head bolts from summit for 63$. They were the mopar perforfance bolts. Wish I would have known about the price matching. I also used the magnum intake gaskets purchased form autozone over the counter for 13$ I think. Just toss everything but the port gaskets. I did not use the end gaskets since I'm using the rpm airgap intake. Just ran two beads of rtv front and back.

-
Back