Another mini tub question

-

FJ5

Reaction score
How much should I expect to pay if the rate was $40/hr for a mini tub job? Or how many hours should it take a professional resto guy to do it? Some of you professional body guys chime in, or anyone that has done this before.

How much should I expect to pay if the rate was $40/hr for a mini tub job? Or how many hours should it take a professional resto guy to do it? Some of you professional body guys chime in, or anyone that has done this before.

Someone will probably want to know if spring relocation is part of the job.

when i did mine it took me prob 12 hrs a side. but i took everything down to bare metal. I would make sure who ever you pay has done it more than once before. its not that hard of a job but it takes a little bit of knowledge.

Done this job. It took me 26 hours. I relocated the seat belts etc. cut everything tight so there were no patch pieces used whatsoever. Most guys do the hack job with patch pieces. The job goes faster but...............it's butcherizing to me when there is no reason for it.

Done this job. It took me 26 hours. I relocated the seat belts etc. cut everything tight so there were no patch pieces used whatsoever. Most guys do the hack job with patch pieces. The job goes faster but...............it's butcherizing to me when there is no reason for it.

well slap me on the tush and call me butch. lol.

How did you connect the two pieces back together . After cutting them in half ? Or did you replace the complete tub ? Maybe some pics of how you did yours

There are a LOT of variable related to the finished product that will determine the cost.

You want the wheel tubs butt welded and finished smooth?
Overlapped and tacked in with seam sealer?

tub radius rounded or with the squared off patches?

All those things change the cost and time dramatically.
22.jpg

4643103-MVC-024S.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture045.jpg

I have a powerpoint that someone else did showing some of the procedures used when minitubbing.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward it if you like.

How did you connect the two pieces back together . After cutting them in half ? Or did you replace the complete tub ? Maybe some pics of how you did yours

I am talking about the radius cuts. Alot of guys square them off and then fill them in. If there is no rust issues I see no reason to do it like that is all I was saying.

Plenty of pics in my Minitub 4 link thread in my signature.

Here is how I did mine.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 027.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 003.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 010.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 011.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 352
  • 002.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 348
Construction paper or poster board is your best friend when doing this.

Steel usually holds up better, especially if you're gonna drive it in the rain!:tard:
..Sorry it's late & I'm kinda in a stupid mood!

LOL

Slap enough paste on it and it holds up a little better. Just keep the kids from eating da paste!

Dose the 24-26 hours it took some of you include relocating the leaf springs?

It took about 40 hours with spreading the quarters and moving the rear back 1/2 inch for tire diameter clearance. That included the finish work in the trunk. And also the tailpipes and tips relocated after the springs moved in. And the cage. If you don't have the equipment it will take a lot longer for a nice job that looks like it came this way from the factory.

Thanks cracked back that is one handy power point. You should post that on here and make it a sticky.

It took about 40 hours with spreading the quarters and moving the rear back 1/2 inch for tire diameter clearance. That included the finish work in the trunk. And also the tailpipes and tips relocated after the springs moved in. And the cage. If you don't have the equipment it will take a lot longer for a nice job that looks like it came this way from the factory.

beautiful duster! just wondering what did u do with your fuel tank? any photos from underneath?

Had mine done by Young gun 2.0 and another friend . Patched or not ,can't tell it was done ,everything moved correctly, everything fits nice.

If you have never seen my build thread its in my signature. I did this mod and the pictures are on there. Being my first time though a car things might be a bit crude but effective. You can do it with a few basic tools. I used self tapping screws to hold things in place while i tacked it. Paying someone would likely cost you $700-$1000 depending on shop rates. I have to say it wasnt all that bad! FYI i used a body saw from HF an electric one. I feel like i have more control and no sparks flying in your face.

It took us 25-30 hours to scab together the mini-tub :happy8:, not really watching the clock.

006.jpg

007.jpg

IMG-20120218-00124.jpg

Not that you can see **** with the black color lol
IMG_0243.jpg

-
Back