Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
How's the Cuda running now that you tweaked the carb and timing? Is it :burnout: yet?

How's the Cuda running now that you tweaked the carb and timing? Is it :burnout: yet?
I didn't drive it much today, - maybe a mile or so. It seems to run great but loads up really quick when you're idling around. Within a half minute or so it wants to start running rough and will pop and bang a bit unless I rev it to keep it clean (or so it seems). I haven't had a chance to re-read the plugs but I'd bet they're sooty again.

It acts like it really wants to run. Very responsive. Revs fast. The power seems to be there. But I'm guessing I won't be able to drive it around town without those plugs carboning up right away. I still want to re-check the spark plugs for that soot on the outside. Maybe the plugs don't have the correct seating surface (I'll check to make sure I don't need a tapered seat).

Last edited:
I took more pics of the dually.

img_1949-jpg.jpg

img_1948-jpg.jpg

img_1947-jpg.jpg

img_1946-jpg.jpg

img_1945-jpg.jpg

img_1944-jpg.jpg

img_1943-jpg.jpg

img_1942-jpg.jpg

img_1940-jpg.jpg

img_1939-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1949.jpg

View attachment IMG_1948.jpg

View attachment IMG_1947.jpg

View attachment IMG_1946.jpg

View attachment IMG_1945.jpg

View attachment IMG_1944.jpg

View attachment IMG_1943.jpg

View attachment IMG_1942.jpg

View attachment IMG_1940.jpg

View attachment IMG_1939.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I saw your post with the black plugs, certainly running rich. Was that carb set up by MRL? Wonder if he has any advice. I do not know enough about the newer carbs these days to offer any sage advice. I used to constantly fiddle with jet size on a 600 Holley I had on my 318 depending on what elevation I was spending more time in (7000 ft in Northern Az or 1000 ft in Phoenix).

Yes, I saw your post with the black plugs, certainly running rich. Was that carb set up by MRL? Wonder if he has any advice. I do not know enough about the newer carbs these days to offer any sage advice. I used to constantly fiddle with jet size on a 600 Holley I had on my 318 depending on what elevation I was spending more time in (7000 ft in Northern Az or 1000 ft in Phoenix).

It's the carb that Mike from MRL sent with the engine and as I recall he said it was ready as is. As I remember, he had changed the jetting a few #s when he'd set it up. I'm still hung up a bit on that soot on the outside of those plugs. I'm theorizing that if those plugs aren't seating tightly enough that I might experience more issues at low RPM (such as I am). Before I re-jet I'll call Mike for advice.

Last edited:
The worst of the dually is the tailgate and the back end of the bed. I was aware of the bad tailgate but didn't know about the bed until I pulled the bedliner out to clean it up. If I was planning on keeping the truck I'd patch the floor and retain the bedliner to keep it covered. The tailgate I'd replace.

img_1918-jpg.jpg

img_1919-jpg.jpg

img_1920-jpg.jpg

img_1921-jpg.jpg

img_1922-jpg.jpg

img_1923-jpg.jpg

img_1924-jpg.jpg

img_1925-jpg.jpg

img_1926-jpg.jpg

img_1927-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1918.jpg

View attachment IMG_1919.jpg

View attachment IMG_1920.jpg

View attachment IMG_1921.jpg

View attachment IMG_1922.jpg

View attachment IMG_1923.jpg

View attachment IMG_1924.jpg

View attachment IMG_1925.jpg

View attachment IMG_1926.jpg

View attachment IMG_1927.jpg

Last edited:
I took more pictures of the 360 from the 'Lil Red and pictures of the 360 that I'd picked up after pressure washing them. The orange paint was flaking off of the motor I'd gotten so I started stripping the rest of it off before I paint it blue.

img_1969-jpg.jpg

img_1970-jpg.jpg

img_1971-jpg.jpg

img_1972-jpg.jpg

img_1973-jpg.jpg

img_1974-jpg.jpg

img_1975-jpg.jpg

img_1976-jpg.jpg

img_1977-jpg.jpg

img_1979-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1969.jpg

View attachment IMG_1970.jpg

View attachment IMG_1971.jpg

View attachment IMG_1972.jpg

View attachment IMG_1973.jpg

View attachment IMG_1974.jpg

View attachment IMG_1975.jpg

View attachment IMG_1976.jpg

View attachment IMG_1977.jpg

View attachment IMG_1979.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered 2 cans of Mopar blue from JEGS. It's probably the best engine paint in a poof can I've ever used. Coats quickly, seems to have good adhesion, no issues with fish eyes like the ceramic paint I'd tried.

img_1995-jpg.jpg

The new engine was really clean under the valve covers but the old oil was pretty dark. I still have to swap intake manifolds and extract a few broken bolts. I'd be tempted to run a Holley but I checked and the factory air cleaner won't clear. There is quite bit of emission stuff on the original intake and no provision for it on the hi-rise so I'll make sure it all looks correct with the original intake.

img_1986-jpg.jpg

img_1987-jpg.jpg

img_1988-jpg.jpg

img_1989-jpg.jpg

img_1990-jpg.jpg

img_1991-jpg.jpg

img_1992-jpg.jpg

img_1993-jpg.jpg

img_1994-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1995.jpg

View attachment IMG_1986.jpg

View attachment IMG_1987.jpg

View attachment IMG_1988.jpg

View attachment IMG_1989.jpg

View attachment IMG_1990.jpg

View attachment IMG_1991.jpg

View attachment IMG_1992.jpg

View attachment IMG_1993.jpg

View attachment IMG_1994.jpg

Last edited:
Yo, this is cawley looking good nice work O & by the way I bought new FG fenders down ay Carlisle from stinger & they fit nice I post some pics later

Yo, this is cawley looking good nice work O & by the way I bought new FG fenders down ay Carlisle from stinger & they fit nice I post some pics later

Thanks Cawley. How did you come out on that first fender? Did you ever get any satisfaction? I was hoping they'd replace the first one with one made by Stinger. As I recall you were planning on running one fiberglass with one steel fender. How do they look side by side on the same vehicle?

Last edited:
- New semi-disaster today on the home front. Teresa was driving the Sebring convertible this morning when the receiver hitch on a truck in front of her came off. - Luckily it didn't bounce through her windshield but it did a lot of damage to the underside of the car. It lost oil immediately when it punctured the pan. I'm waiting for a chance to get it up on a hoist to make sure the block isn't damaged.

The hitch put a 6" dent in the passenger side floor board. My 10 year old granddaughter was struck in the face by a glass coffee jar that was in Teresa's purse. The purse was on the floor right above the spot that the hitch struck. She's got a bruised jaw and swollen cheek. We're having her checked to make sure she's OK otherwise.

Although the car does not have outward signs of damage I'm afraid they will total it if the drive train has anything serious broken.

img_1996-jpg.jpg

You can't tell it in this photo but the back end of the car is covered in oil.

img_1997-jpg.jpg

It took Teresa about 50 yards to get pulled over and stop. The right rear tire tossed oil into the wheel well.

img_1998-jpg.jpg

img_1999-jpg.jpg

The underside is drenched with oil.

img_2001-jpg.jpg

img_2003-jpg.jpg

img_2004-jpg.jpg

img_2005-jpg.jpg

img_2006-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1996.jpg

View attachment IMG_1997.jpg

View attachment IMG_1998.jpg

View attachment IMG_1999.jpg

View attachment IMG_2001.jpg

View attachment IMG_2003.jpg

View attachment IMG_2004.jpg

View attachment IMG_2005.jpg

View attachment IMG_2006.jpg

Last edited:
Glad shes ok. Did the truck stop? Thats a big bump in the floor.

Glad shes ok. Did the truck stop? Thats a big bump in the floor.

The driver of the truck saw it come off and bounce down the road behind him. He did stop. When he told Teresa that there was no way it could have done the damage to the floor she told him that she wanted to call the police to file an accident report.

Lesley (my granddaughter) is still swollen and sore. They took x-rays and said nothing is broken.

After getting the Sebring up on a lift we saw how spooky the damage really was. Underneath the big hump in the carpet was a 6" diameter gaping hole. We were lucky that the hitch hadn't come straight through the floor at 60 MPH. Farther back there was a 12" slice through the floor in the back seat area that had even cut through the carpeting inside. Further back yet you could see where the hitch had struck the exhaust resonator. Naturally the aluminum oil pan was toast. There was also signs of a very fresh oil leak on the cam seals. (no traces of any old oil anywhere around that area, but fresh dripping from them)

Teresa and I aren't destitute but we don't own any credit cards or carry collision insurance on our vehicles (only liability and comprehensive coverage). We couldn't rent a loaner car around here for those reasons. As many dang cars as I've got around here you'd think I'd have a spare one to use. - But until I get the Barracuda running better, we're down to just the pickup. I guess I'd best get some of these projects completed already.

The next time I get a chance to snap some pics of the underside of the car I'll post them. I didn't have a camera with me when we stopped at the garage.

Last edited:
I need to put some more time in on the Barracuda. Now that we're down to one vehicle I can't put the 'Cuda off any longer. I haven't licensed the dually and I'm not sure that I want to start paying insurance and taxes on another vehicle. There's no way I can license the Duster. The 'Lil Red won't be done for another month. Yup, - time for the 'Cuda.

I need to get a vacuum gauge to determine if the power valve is correct. I'm definitely going to focus on the fuel system.

Thanks Cawley. How did you come out on that first fender? Did you ever get any satisfaction? I was hoping they'd replace the first one with one made by Stinger. As I recall you were planning on running one fiberglass with one steel fender. How do they look side by side on the same vehicle?

Nope, I haven't heard from them in a while & they wont return my calls. So I just chalked it up as experience. I bought 2 new fenders. I just got them fitted up & some minor body work done. They are ready for some primer. The only thing I don't like about the FG fenders is the wheel well lip isn't wide enough for the wheel well moldings. Other than that you wont be able to tell the difference.

Well I made 0% progress on the 'Cuda. I love living in a small town but when you do - you have to expect to be unable to find a vacuum tester when you go to your local parts store.

Instead I worked on the engine for the 'Lil Red and the dually. Every nut and bolt bracket and sensor that's going back on the motor are still being stripped, cleaned, and re-painted. I still need to go through the torqueflite also.

I got a wild hair and decided that I was going to install my spare MSD box on the dually. In the years that I've been running the MSDs I've never had one go bad yet. So it's time to tempt fate by putting it to use. - Watch, now one of my other boxes is bound to fail afterwards. The dually is running a 2 barrel Holley and I'm tempted to put on the 4 barrel intake that's sitting out at the farm. There are plenty of spare carbs sitting around so other than the cost of gaskets and time it wouldn't be putting a big dent in my pocket book. The motor is pretty greasy and should be power washed anyway. It doesn't burn oil but it looks like it could use a few new gaskets and detailing.

Sorry to hear about the issue with the sebring but on a more positive note the CUDA LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!! definitely time to get myself back into the garage and working on my ole Pheonix, the old girl hasn't had any work done since March.

Thanks 67 prostreet GT. I've got to keep pushing myself to get the Barracuda done. Before I start messing with the carb I want to make sure I've got all the tools necessary to get it dialed in. I hate tearing something apart and having to put it back together without having gotten anywhere.

My builds seem fairly tame next to the Pheonix. As much attention as the wild paint schemes seem to get I still like that 'subtle mean' look of the gray/black.

I heard that the new front fenders for the 2010 Challenger are expected to arrive next Saturday. We hadn't originally planned on changing them but they've got an arch in them from when the car was wrecked. It makes the hood look like it lays too flat. They were repairable but when new ones are only $170-ish, it's more practical to replace instead.

I'm still hopping back and forth on these projects. I'm hoping that the 'Cuda, Challenger, dually, and 'Lil Red will all be done soon so that I can start focusing on the Duster and Charger again.

The MSD change-over on the dually went smoothly. I had enough extra wiring extensions from other installs that I didn't have to buy anything extra. I don't actually have the box mounted down yet because I didn't have any shock mounts.

While I was at it I swapped out distributors. The advance plate in the old one had an up and down wobble to it that seemed like it would affect the reluctor gap.

The oddball spark plug wires that were on the truck had huge porcelain insulators on them and were a mile too long. I had a near new set of orange Mopar wires on the shelf so I put them on also.

I replaced the old coil with an ACCEL Super Coil that had been gathering dust in the garage.

While I was at it I power washed the engine and scraped off whatever grime I could get to. After a little sprucing with paint it looks a lot more respectable now.

The MSD box is resting on the inner fender for now.

img_2010-jpg.jpg

BEFORE .......................................................................................... AFTER
img_1930-jpg.jpg
img_2011-jpg.jpg

BEFORE ...........................................................................................AFTER
img_1931-jpg.jpg
img_2012-jpg.jpg

I realize the orange wires aren't organized the best but I didn't have any straight plug wire boots so I had to make the best of what I had. If I end up keeping the truck I'll custom make a set that fits better and install some better wire separators.

img_2013-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_2010.jpg

View attachment IMG_2011.jpg

View attachment IMG_2012.jpg

View attachment IMG_2013.jpg

View attachment IMG_1930.jpg

View attachment IMG_1931.jpg

Last edited:
ROADTRIP! ROADTRIP! ROADTRIP! ROADTRIP!

A buddy of mine called me tonight wanting to know if I'd go with him to check out a '68 Coronet R/T on Friday. He had a '69 Coronet when he was young and we've been trying to track it back down with no success. Although he'd prefer to find another '69, this '68 might be a good candidate for a rebuild.

It was originally black with white tail stripes and a gold interior, a 440/727, and an 8&3/4 posi. It's a really cool factory color combo so it'd be a nice one to bring back to life. We know it's got rust issues. The owner has assured him that it's not too bad but I suspect otherwise.

I feel like driving the dually simply because there's something cool about picking up a classic Mopar with a classic Mopar. - No fancy creature comforts, just the big block and 4-speed. Time to load up on the Twinkies!

_57-jpg.jpg

_571-jpg.jpg

_572-jpg.jpg

_573-jpg.jpg

_574-jpg.jpg

_575-jpg.jpg

_576-jpg.jpg

_577-jpg.jpg

_578-jpg.jpg

Ya, I know I should be working on the 'Cuda instead but ... ROADTRIP! YES!

View attachment $_57.jpg

View attachment $_571.jpg

View attachment $_572.jpg

View attachment $_573.jpg

View attachment $_574.jpg

View attachment $_575.jpg

View attachment $_576.jpg

View attachment $_577.jpg

View attachment $_578.jpg

Last edited:
I've been plugging away in the driveway tonight (the 2 360s are taking up the garage space). After rigging a large washer to aid in mounting the antenna mast I tried to figure out why the radio wasn't working. It is getting power and a good ground so I figure it's toasted. - No lights. - No static. - No buzz. I think I may have a used pickup AM/FM out at our farm still. I'll have to look tomorrow.

While I had the instrument bezel off I thought I'd better replace the dash bulbs. - There was only one working yet. I discovered that they weren't burnt out. They were missing. The twist in sockets were missing too. Luckily I had a supply of spares on hand. I probably should have installed L.E.D.s but I forgot where I have them stashed. At any rate, the gauges are readable at night now and my turn signal indicators function.

It would have been nice to get all of the clearance lights working but the mosquitoes chased me back in the house.

When I go out to the farm tomorrow I'll try to remember to look for a cap for the overflow tank. There should be an old one from the 'Lil Red. - I'd bought a new tank/cap for it.

I decided to order a vacuum tester from JEGS. If I don't continue making an effort with the Barracuda it'll become buried by other projects.

-
Back