Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Nice work putting the town council in their place John! Glad to see you can take a well deserved breather.

Thanks Scott. Normally I only fantasize about telling off a person that's being a jerk. Approaching a gaggle of them all at one time I figured that I'd probably choke and end up smelling backside as I puckered up and gave in. The few that apologized honestly looked as though they regretted their behaviors at the previous meeting. I think they succumbed to the 'pack mentality' and had laughed along with the bullies the time before.

Because it's such a small town, the remodeling hasn't gone unnoticed by most of the folks that live there. Most folks have been very supportive. It's unfortunate that many of the biggest jerks in small communities tend to run for office. Overall most of the people there are decent. Nebraska is full of folks that vote for conservatives in national elections but still vote for liberals locally. They don't seem to realize that the Dems are most likely to be the ones that want to control how they are allowed to live their lives and values.

Last edited:
You were nice to them.
But I would have took the same approach, unless things got nasty.

Now finish the house, no need to stop now.

I had Teresa in a panic. She thought I was going to push enough buttons to get them to push back even harder.

I felt like I was walking a fine line. - Trying to read their reactions as I was talking and trying to make them feel they'd be putting themselves at risk if they did push back.

Teresa was willing to say whatever it took to appease them. I knew she would and used it to my advantage. I figured they would know from the get-go what my attitude was - and it wasn't happy.

With Teresa saying "thank you" to anything favorable they said, I figured that they'd be concerned about becoming too abrasive and ending up with TWO really pissed off people to contend with. - Not to mention that I'd already pointed out that she'd left the last meeting in tears. The guys that had any conscious at all would have had to have thought twice about repeating their previous behaviors.

Last edited:
I want to thank all you guys here that have been supportive. I hate sounding like a big baby but there are sure times when it's good to hear from you.

If only I could stay living in my own little garage world and shut the outside world out. The Mopars may give me fits but at least they don't try to control my destiny.

I talked with HemiDenny today. We should be getting the K-member for the Charger soon. - Let the mayhem resume...

. Nebraska is full of folks that vote for conservatives in national elections but still vote for liberals locally. They don't seem to realize that the Dems are most likely to be the ones that want to control how you are allowed to live your lives and values.

This is an understatement!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good on you, John!!!! You were a lot more reasonable than I would have been. Nice progress. Take a break!!!

I want to thank all you guys here that have been supportive. I hate sounding like a big baby but there are sure times when it's good to hear from you.

If only I could stay living in my own little garage world and shut the outside world out. The Mopars may give me fits but at least they don't try to control my destiny.

I talked with HemiDenny today. We should be getting the K-member for the Charger soon. - Let the mayhem resume...

We are here for you, seriously, maybe taking a week break on the house will be good for your girls moral and yours.

Cook her some dinner tomorrow, my gal loves it when I make her food.

Really don't stop what you are doing on the house for long, they will be watching you....

We are here for you, seriously, maybe taking a week break on the house will be good for your girls moral and yours.

Cook her some dinner tomorrow, my gal loves it when I make her food.

Really don't stop what you are doing on the house for long, they will be watching you....

Good on you, John!!!! You were a lot more reasonable than I would have been. Nice progress. Take a break!!!

Thanks guys. From a monetary prospective I have to get the house done asap. I can't afford to hold onto 3 properties because I'll have no more liquid assets. I'll need to sell something to keep myself above water.

Our old farmhouse is gutted down to the studs. The place has been in the family for over 100 years. Despite the fact the farm ground has been sold off I didn't want to see the building acreage gone. I really liked living in the country and want to return there. If times get tough enough I might have to sell it.

The house we're living in now I purchased from my siblings while my folk's estate was being settled. I knew I was stretching things a bit but felt I could swing it. I never foresaw some of the health problems that cropped up or the losses we'd take from vandalism and thefts. The accumulate affect of stuff took out whatever cushion I had. My car addiction hasn't exactly put me on the road to fame and fortune either.

I don't want (nor should I want) any sympathy for whatever financial position I'm in. I'm doing OK. - Probably better than a lot of other guys on this site. I've just got to pinch the hell out of my pennies for awhile so I don't get into real trouble.

The ordeal with that city council was serious enough that it could have sunk me. I do REALLY appreciate the empathy shown regarding it.

Last edited:
John,You have done a phenominal job on the house. You and Teresa should be very proud. Good for you for sticking up for your rights and values.The town council needed to hear from you. Get the house done and get on with your love of Mopars. Take care and God Bless you.

John,You have done a phenominal job on the house. You and Teresa should be very proud. Good for you for sticking up for your rights and values.The town council needed to hear from you. Get the house done and get on with your love of Mopars. Take care and God Bless you.

Thanks Vince. I like the improvements we've made so far and I hope the house turns out as nice as I think it will.

I told Teresa the other day that I wouldn't be surprised if some new crapload falls on us soon. That mayor and council weren't exactly happy when we left.

Today the sheriff's department showed up at our home in David City while I was gone. They said they had a complaint about all of my vehicles and I have 7 days to get them out of town. I suspect it's not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Great Job John, Keep your head high....

Thanks DusterDaddy.

I wish they'd never screwed with us. It easily set us back at least 6 months and all of the house paint we'd bought last fall froze over winter and was ruined. Even though we'd considered moving into the house when it's completed, I'm starting to think about moving out of the county all together. Between crappy politicians and crappy law enforcement there's got to be better places to live.

Last edited:
Minnesota sucks too!!!! Law enforcement around here in the outsides of the metro area is awesome but there hands are tied by the sanctuary state the democrats have made here. Last week when we were doing my sons paper route we noticed three white vans with Nebraske plates pull up in front of the trailer court. We counted 19 hispanic men, women, and a few children get out and move quickly into a nearby trailer house. Told the police chief and there was nothing he could do to check it out. This is a very very small town. Trust me we noticed our population over double in the last year.
Sorry to gripe. Hang in there!

Minnesota sucks too!!!! Law enforcement around here in the outsides of the metro area is awesome but there hands are tied by the sanctuary state the democrats have made here. Last week when we were doing my sons paper route we noticed three white vans with Nebraske plates pull up in front of the trailer court. We counted 19 hispanic men, women, and a few children get out and move quickly into a nearby trailer house. Told the police chief and there was nothing he could do to check it out. This is a very very small town. Trust me we noticed our population over double in the last year.
Sorry to gripe. Hang in there!

I don't believe that I've got a prejudicial bone in my body but I can't understand how progressives can think that unsecured borders are anything but a recipe for disaster. I don't care what country they're coming from, if they're not here legally - then they're breaking the law. A law that was intended to protect the citizenry of this country.

Maybe I've become too pessimistic but it seems to me that there are a lot of things going screwy in this land. There is a lot of effort given to protect law breakers and little to protect the rights of those that struggle to make ends meet. If you're really someone middle class trying to succeed, you get attacked by those that want to give free handouts to people unwilling to work or by bullies that are 'connected' to someone in power.

Last edited:
The other day I said I was thinking about going to a car show in St. Paul, Nebraska. Saturday morning I got up early and went. They advertized a class for race cars so I loaded up the Crop Duster and entered it. I was surprised at how many drag cars showed up.

Despite all of it's flaws I managed to get 2nd in my class. The trophy looks pretty spiffy.

img_5544-jpg.jpg

img_5795-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_5544.jpg

View attachment IMG_5795.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Vince. I like the improvements we've made so far and I hope the house turns out as nice as I think it will.

I told Teresa the other day that I wouldn't be surprised if some new crapload falls on us soon. That mayor and council weren't exactly happy when we left.

Today the sheriff's department showed up at our home in David City while I was gone. They said they had a complaint about all of my vehicles and I have 7 days to get them out of town. I suspect it's not a coincidence.

Under what charge?
If the are registered and insured, they have every right to be there.
They legally cannot do ****, go talk to the city attorney.

If they have no tags, then yes you have to move them.

Under what charge?
If the are registered and insured, they have every right to be there.
They legally cannot do ****, go talk to the city attorney.

If they have no tags, then yes you have to move them.

Sireland, I understand what you're saying but all of the towns in this county are chucked full of demolition derby cars, circle track cars, project cars, drag cars, etc - that were considered exempt from the registration/insurance requirement. From time to time they've still enforced removal if there were complaints. I keep the appearance of my vehicles nice enough that they don't present an eyesore to the community and I never fire any loud ones up later in the day. There are very many cars in town that cannot be said about. The city attorney here is the same one that is the attorney in Rising City (where we were being hassled about the house). There isn't a uniform enforcement of their code. It's only pushed upon people that they pick & choose. They never go after the real nuisance vehicles.

I hate the idea of moving them to the farm because of the problems with vandalism and theft. I have complained here about the quality of law enforcement before. I found out the other day that the Sheriff's department never even filed any reports on the vandalism and thefts that we'd reported. That's why I've been so negative about the local PD. They seem to be all over folks that are minding their own business and not bothering anyone while at the same time failing to provide any real protection from crimes.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice find on the cabinetry. They are of the modern era since they have roll it trays in the bases...

Nice find on the cabinetry. They are of the modern era since they have roll it trays in the bases...

A doctor in Lincoln, Nebraska was doing a kitchen remodel and had them for sale. He told me that the kitchen had been remodeled 10 years prior so I'm guessing that's the age of the cabinetry. I am supposed to pick them up Thursday and am hoping they're in as good shape as he claims. He said they're absolutely flawless - no nicks, scratches, stains, or blemishes.

I'm not sure how old our Geneva steel cabinets are. I doubt they're as old as the house is. If I had to venture a guess I'd say they were made in the 50s. They'd probably look cool if a person was going for a 50s or 60s retro-look. - But I think most people would want an updated kitchen.

image-jpg.jpg

If I was doing the retro-theme I'd be diggin' on this turquoise color.

images2-jpg.jpg

When I originally bought the house it had a stove similar to this one.

images-jpg.jpg

They'd make great garage cabinets. I'm not sure if we'll end up selling them or keep them for a shop. I don't imagine we'd get much $$ for them.

View attachment image.jpg

View attachment images2.jpg

View attachment images.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
-
Back