Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Way back when I chose a tach to use I wasn't too concerned about functionality. I had an automatic and I figured I'd be using it for tuning reference more than shift points. I bought a small one that I mounted on top of the dash pad because I figured it wouldn't interfere with road visibility. But now that I've got that full manual valve body I realized it's going to be difficult to read. So I bought an adjustable shift light now that I can run with the old tach.

zzzz-jpg.jpg

One other thing I ordered was a set of insulated remote wiring posts so that I can clean up some of that wiring around my battery. I have a ton of wiring running to the battery terminals. Hopefully I can reduce the number of wires connecting directly to the battery to just a few. I'd like to make a covering of some sorts for the rest of the wires too.

zzz-jpg.jpg

View attachment zzzz.jpg

View attachment zzz.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm turning into a constant complainer. This winter it was to cold to get anything done. Then it was too rainy for me to work in my driveway. Then the damn junebugs and mosquitoes kept chasing me back in the house. Now (even though the thermometer shows mid-eighties), It's too hot. The humidity is killer today. I think I sweated off 5 pounds just poking my head outside.

So, why poke my head outside?

img_0626-jpg.jpg

It's here!

img_0624-jpg.jpg

img_0625-jpg.jpg

img_0627-jpg.jpg

img_0628-jpg.jpg

img_0629-jpg.jpg

img_0630-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_0626.jpg

View attachment IMG_0624.jpg

View attachment IMG_0625.jpg

View attachment IMG_0627.jpg

View attachment IMG_0628.jpg

View attachment IMG_0629.jpg

View attachment IMG_0630.jpg

Last edited:
OK. I was naive enough to think I'd have the engine in today, but that's not going to happen. Everything uncrated fine. I moved the motor in front of the Barracuda where I figured I'd transfer all of the small parts from the 318. Next I picked up the torqueflite with the cherry picker and brought it behind the engine. That's when I realized that Mike had forgotten to send the new flex plate. I tried calling him right away but he must be busy in the machine shop.

img_0637-jpg.jpg

Next I grabbed my kick-down linkage to put it in place. Aargh! It doesn't fit. I'll have to either find a bracket that will work or modify this old one.

img_0631-jpg.jpg

Well, I guess I'll turn my attention to the motor mounts. I should have cleaned them up before but I forgot.

img_0636-jpg.jpg

I had to make myself a pointer for the 318 that was in the car before. It was running a newer front cover with the old style water pump and the lower radiator hose hides the timing mark. The 408 is set up the same way so I'll have to transfer my pointer. I forgot to order new timing tape. Doh!

img_0633-jpg.jpg

My cars are year round daily drivers so I'll need to transfer my fittings for the heater hoses to the new motor.

img_0634-jpg.jpg

I might as well transfer the pulleys now too.

img_0635-jpg.jpg

The new carb is from Quick Fuel. I think all of my linkage from the old Holley will work.

img_0632-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_0637.jpg

View attachment IMG_0631.jpg

View attachment IMG_0636.jpg

View attachment IMG_0633.jpg

View attachment IMG_0634.jpg

View attachment IMG_0635.jpg

View attachment IMG_0632.jpg

Last edited:
After talking with Mike I realized that there was a communication mix-up regarding the flex plate. I should have read through his parts list. He feels confident that my stock flex plate will be OK as long as I don't add a transmission brake or 4000+ stall converter.

I still need to modify the intake in order to mount my kick down linkage and auger out one hole on my crank pulley. I may have to re-school myself on the motor mounts. I see that the mounts do not align the same on this 360 block.

Its best to use four bolts/nuts to bolt your motor mount to your engine, not two like you show in your picture.

Yup 4-3 separate bolts with nuts on the mounts. Thru bolts will snap off those motor mount ears, then your screwed. 318 and 340-360 have slightly different motor mount ears, no big deal.

Its best to use four bolts/nuts to bolt your motor mount to your engine, not two like you show in your picture.

Yup 4-3 separate bolts with nuts on the mounts. Thru bolts will snap off those motor mount ears, then your screwed. 318 and 340-360 have slightly different motor mount ears, no big deal.

Thanks guys, I ran to the parts store this morning and bought different bolts.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's the little stuff that gives you the biggest headaches. I've still been fighting with the throttle and kick down linkage. The throttle arm on the new carb is a half inch closer to the carb body than my old carburetor. It may not sound like much of a difference but it's enough to cause my cable, springs, and kick down lever to bind against my throttle bracket. I've spent the last few hours tweaking everything to make it work.

img_0643-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_0643.jpg

Last edited:
All ready to go in. I decided not to use the carb lift plate to pick up the engine/transmission. The leveler didn't work as well with it.

img_0645-jpg.jpg

img_0646-jpg.jpg

img_0647-jpg.jpg

img_0648-jpg.jpg

img_0649-jpg.jpg

img_0650-jpg.jpg

I tried to pre-position the new headers before dropping the motor in.

img_0651-jpg.jpg

Well, at least it's back in the engine bay now.

img_0652-jpg.jpg

img_0653-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_0645.jpg

View attachment IMG_0646.jpg

View attachment IMG_0647.jpg

View attachment IMG_0648.jpg

View attachment IMG_0649.jpg

View attachment IMG_0650.jpg

View attachment IMG_0651.jpg

View attachment IMG_0652.jpg

View attachment IMG_0653.jpg

Last edited:
NICE! Did the Hurst Pro -Matic shifter,Turbo Action reverse manual v/b, time will tell.... The cool part: it's in. The PITA part: small parts & details...

NICE! Did the Hurst Pro -Matic shifter,Turbo Action reverse manual v/b, time will tell.... The cool part: it's in. The PITA part: small parts & details...

Thanks Abodybomber. I think the new shifter will be here Monday. I guess my biggest delay may end up being the new driveshaft. I'm considering changing the exhaust to a simple pair of header mufflers and dumps. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy so I don't know if I'll get much done. I had to stop for tonight because of all the mosquitoes.

Last edited:
Thanks Abodybomber. I think the new shifter will be here Monday. I guess my biggest delay may end up being the new driveshaft. I'm considering changing the exhaust to a simple pair of header mufflers and dumps. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy so I don't know if I'll get much done. I had to stop for tonight because of all the mosquitoes.

Good luck.Other than one person,everyone has a personal agenda,or something to gain. Why I went here to converse. Common sense....

Sometimes it's the little stuff that gives you the biggest headaches. I've still been fighting with the throttle and kick down linkage. The throttle arm on the new carb is a half inch closer to the carb body than my old carburetor. It may not sound like much of a difference but it's enough to cause my cable, springs, and kick down lever to bind against my throttle bracket. I've spent the last few hours tweaking everything to make it work.

View attachment 1714726600

Why not use the 1481 adapter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1481

I don't know for sure if it will bolt on the carb, but might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
maybe I missed the post, but what converter are you going with(stall)?

maybe I missed the post, but what converter are you going with(stall)?

For now I'm going to use the converter that I got with the transmission when I bought it. It's a Mopar Performance converter that they rate at 2400. Mike seems to think that it will flash higher with this motor.

Last edited:
For now I'm going to use the converter that I got with the transmission when I bought it. It's a Mopar Performance converter that they rate at 2400. Mike seems to think that it will flash higher with this motor.

Try it. It might flare up,when you wack the hell of the nasty....

Try it. It might flare up,when you wack the hell of the nasty....

This build has been slowly evolving farther towards the strip side of being a street/strip vehicle. I figure that the fiberglass fenders, hood, front valance and header panel knocked a lot of weight off the car. Those Rodlites are really light too. And, then there's the aluminum radiator and the swap from power to manual steering and the disc brake swap should have saved more weight again. This coupled with the 4.10 ratio and the increased power... Well, I'm hoping on seeing a little daylight under those front wheels.

Last edited:
This build has been slowly evolving farther towards the strip side of being a street/strip vehicle. I figure that the fiberglass fenders, hood, front valance and header panel knocked a lot of weight off the car. Those Rodlites are really light too. And, then there's the aluminum radiator and the swap from power to manual steering and the disc brake swap should have saved more weight again. This coupled with the 4.10 ratio and the increased power... Well, I'm hoping on seeing a little daylight under those front wheels.

a little daylight is good. the hemi used to carry them about 8-10" till the second gear shift, (when it was hooked up.which wasn`t often back in the day!) like your cuda!!
finally got done reworking the f.i. wireing harness on mine-I`m slow!-------bob

a little daylight is good. the hemi used to carry them about 8-10" till the second gear shift, (when it was hooked up.which wasn`t often back in the day!) like your cuda!!
finally got done reworking the f.i. wireing harness on mine-I`m slow!-------bob

When they said you had to be picky about the wiring on that efi wiring, they weren't kidding.We hadn't soldered every connection when we first put ours together but afterwards we found that we had to go back through it and re-do some of our connection points. I really thought we had every crimp on connector installed as well as they could have been too. On the original install I didn't want to solder everything in case we needed to switch back from the efi. My son's been driving his Roadrunner for several months now. He's had it act up a few times, but whenever we traced down the cause it came back down to our wiring.

Last edited:
Well. the weather forecast was correct. Too much rain to get anything done in the driveway today.

img_0655-jpg.jpg

img_0656-jpg.jpg

A friend of mine stopped over with a pair of 8&3/4 axles. He needed to have the stud holes drilled out before we could press in new wheel studs. They were Yukon axles and he couldn't find 3" studs that fit. We ended up using a 43/64 bit. While we were at it, we pressed new bearings on the axles too.

img_0654-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_0655.jpg

View attachment IMG_0656.jpg

View attachment IMG_0654.jpg

Last edited:
My son had suggested that we use Evans waterless coolant in his Charger build. After researching it, I haven't found any negatives associated with it. - Looking through some of the old threads on FABO I saw that slantsixdan was a big proponent. If you haven't seen this video from Jay Leno about it yet, -give it a view. It may make you a believer. I plan on picking some up this week.

Last edited:
Even though I had a complete exhaust system on the car already, it didn't have any extra room around the rear axle. The difference in axle diameter between the 7&1/4 and the Dana made things even tighter. I decided to simplify things for now. I ordered a pair of Purple Hornies from JEGS.

large50232flt-jpg.jpg

View attachment large50232FLT.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back