Another Nightmare Radiator Horror Story!!

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
So I have a 360 put in my 66 dart...its running hot so....I order a new champion radiator,electric fan & shroud....I get the rad & the fan but the shroud is backordered...hmmm... So I figure I'll wait for the shroud before having all the new items installed. It just starts to get cool here in florida so I take my car out for a spin,... bring it home, pull in the garage and smell antifreeze...pop the hood and I have a pinhole leak in my existing stock rad. Ok.. now I am screwed... So after waiting for two weeks, I find a shroud on the internet that is supposed to fit my champion radiator that is sitting in the box.. so i order it and it get here. So I take the car to the shop and tell the guy..Ok.. put the new radiator, shroud and fan in please... He calls me up about an hr later and says" the shroud wont fit it too long"... so I call the company and they take one out of stock, put it against a champion radiator (same as I have) and guess what..it doesn't fit..so he pulls all his shrouds out and they are all made wrong.. Ok...so he will refund my $$ no prob..... So I tell the mechanic...put the new radiator and I wait for the correct shroud.... He calls me back again today and says "you need to go get this new fan spacer..yours is way to thick to fit this new radiator... so I drive 30 miles to get this part, bring it to his shop and then he tries to install the stock fan and says " hmmm... this spacer is still too thick and the bolt holes dont line up....So now I call the speed shop I bought this from and the guy says" your mechanic asked for a "universal" fan spacer..what kind of car do you have... I tell him and he says " Oh I would have to special order a mr. gasket 1/2" thick slotted fan spacer.. I can have it monday... well sh^^...Now I am screwed for this weekend, plus the mechanic says the electric fan won't work on the inside of the radiator because there is not enough clearance cuz the new radiator is thicker than the stock rad.... really.????.....anyone run into this scenario?????? thanks for letting me vent...

yep ran into the same thing with my 410 but my local shop had different thickness's of the universal spacer in stock so I was able to get the right one the first time , it helped that I was doing the work myself so the guy running to the parts store {me} knew what he was looking for when he got there . Now if I can just get the spacers for the access brackets figured out so the power steering belt stops rubbing ever so slightly on the water pump pulley eh doh !

-
Back