Another question about 8 3/4 rear ends

-

68 Notch Back

Reaction score
Are all 8 3/4 rear end housings the same (just different lengths) or does each version (741, 742, or 489) have a matching housing/ carrier combination.:banghead:

Thanks

I am new to MOPAR so this is the 1st of many questions.

Ok....is the 741 really bad, or should I hold out for a 742 or 489. I want to be able to hammer it in my barracuda at the strip with around 500 hp and not worry too much about breaking it.

I think you'll be fine with any of them. 741 was short sold on an old wives tale years ago that is still believed today. I think you'll be more likely to break something different than a 1-3/8 heat treated solid steel pinion.

Ok....is the 741 really bad, or should I hold out for a 742 or 489. I want to be able to hammer it in my barracuda at the strip with around 500 hp and not worry too much about breaking it.

I think you'll be fine with any of them. 741 was short sold on an old wives tale years ago that is still believed today. I think you'll be more likely to break something different than a 1-3/8 heat treated solid steel pinion.

x2
IMO the weak part of all of them is the two piece axle/side gear spline engagement. Dr Diff sells an internal parts kit that has a one piece side gear.
http://www.doctordiff.com/powr-lok-internal-parts-kit.html

Agreed.

The pinion size is not the reason these will break. Whatever case you have, make sure it'sin good shape an run it.

All centers will fit the housings. 741 the oldest and weakest. 742 middle in age and the strongest. Thickest pinion. 489 is the newest and second strongest. The pinion is tapered. The 742 and 489 are strong enough. 741 throw away or sell. Don't forget you have two different splines that were offered on the pinions for the yoke. Also there are two different size yokes used as well.

Well...that made it clear as mud!:violent1:

What do you want to know?? Is the 741 capable of 500hp in an A body?? Yes, but it is the lightest duty of the 3 choices! If it were me, I would concentrate on a 742 or a 489, which have the most available gear choices! Myself, I like the 742 with a clutch style Suregrip! The 742 has a shimmable pinion shaft to set the depth, the 489 has a crush sleeve, or a hard spacer as an aftermarket replacement for it! Which gears you want and what the availability of units near you would dictate what I buy! I will run anything, and commonly buy any unit with a Suregrip center because they are all desireable!

Any other questions??

What do you want to know?? Is the 741 capable of 500hp in an A body?? Yes, but it is the lightest duty of the 3 choices! If it were me, I would concentrate on a 742 or a 489, which have the most available gear choices! Myself, I like the 742 with a clutch style Suregrip! The 742 has a shimmable pinion shaft to set the depth, the 489 has a crush sleeve, or a hard spacer as an aftermarket replacement for it! Which gears you want and what the availability of units near you would dictate what I buy! I will run anything, and commonly buy any unit with a Suregrip center because they are all desireable!

Any other questions??

Thank you.....that's what I needed:prayer:

-
Back