another schumacher header thread

-

shoebox1.1

Reaction score
tell me about your schumacher header expirience... install easy? from the top? motor in place? how fast have you gone with yours? i have the pro parts now and with them removed.... looking at a longblock in the car... i just cant put the 2 inchers back on. too much trouble. the schumachers will make this 460hp motor run better anyway. did you get the coated or plain? thanks gus

tell me about your schumacher header expirience... install easy? from the top? motor in place? how fast have you gone with yours? i have the pro parts now and with them removed.... looking at a longblock in the car... i just cant put the 2 inchers back on. too much trouble. the schumachers will make this 460hp motor run better anyway. did you get the coated or plain? thanks gus

Hiya, Gus..

We installed a 383 Big Block with Schumacher Tri-Ys already fitted to the block (and with transmission attached) into my 68 Dart, from the top, in about 2 -3 minutes, Tops.

It was a two-man job. It went down in my garage at home. Nothing special.

We used a regular Cherry Picker. Radiator was removed.

You have to cut a 1 inch/ 90 degree notch in the K-member for the engine to clear the Oil Pump..(it's all detailed clearly in the Schumacher instructions pamphlet, including a cutting/ notching template)

Surprisingly, the thing that took the longest was the shimming of the engine. The Schumacher kit comes with a buncha shims of varied thicknesses.

I got my Tri-Ys plain, and then had them Cermi-coated.

You may want to consider getting the Torque Strao from Schumacher too. It's a nice unit. They have a deal that includes Motor Mounts, Tri-Ys and Torque Strap. That's what I got.

Here's some pics of my engine in the Dart. Hope it helps:

DartGT010107002.jpg
DartGT010107003.jpg

DartGT010107001.jpg

engine.jpg

---

Those Valve Covers look outstanding. Like a 1930s air craft engine of some sorts. That whole motor and that matte black breather looks great.

When I installed them they were alot easier than I thought. Getting all the pipes to fit in the collector was a bit of a trick though. It was a bit tight. What I ended up doing was putting anti seize on the ends of all the pipes and heating the collector on the stove top to get it to expand a little and sliding it on. After that it loosened up a little.
I ordered the uncoated ones to save money and ended up paying to coat them once I changed my mind. ](*,) If I was you I'd get uncoated headers and once you've banged them all up trying to get them to fit go get them coated. I had some clearancing issues aroud the starter (yes I have a mini starter) and the drivers side torsion bar. Nothing a hammer couldn't fix.
I also had to cut the fenderwell holes a little bigger than what the template showed. But I think I have my engine sitting slightly higher than most so that could have been my problem.
It might be in your best interest to cut holes in the passenger side fenderwells for the # 4 and #6 spark plugs.
This is all in a 74 duster with a 440 using shumacher v8 to big block mounts.

For your performance question, 451 stroker "B" in a 65 Belvedere I, 490 lift Comp hyd cam, 9.1 compression pump gas, old Torker 383 intake, 750 AFB, Eddy open chamber 88cc heads, Petronix I ignition, 3500 stall converter, 4.10 gears, in a 3800 lbs car with me in it 11.96 @ 110 mph using the Shumacher tri-y-shorties with 18'' 2 1/2 dia open dump pipes. Spring for the ceramic coatings you will be glad you did.

when I installed the 440 in my Scamp, it was easier to set the drivers side in with the motor. That way I did not have to disconnect anything. The passenger side you can take in and out with no problems with the motor in the car. I really like how they fit after they were installed.

Attachments

• eng1.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 378
I remember reading a test where the small tri-y's were about
halfway between stock magnum manifolds and full large tube
headers in efficiency.

Noting how good the stock manifolds were compared to brand-x
stock manifolds at the time, that is not too bad of a place to be;
especially for the ease of installation.

-
Back