Another "What's it worth?" question (My 273)

-

Glow Worm

"Not Your Grandmaw's 318"
Reaction score
As you ar probably aware (by now) I removed the 273 Commando from my 66 Barracuda. "IF" I should decide to sell it, what would you guys think would be a "good price?"

This engine is complete and 98% all original. Ready for installation. It's all there........
87,000 miles
Commando chrome air cleaner (has new decal)
Carter 4120S 4 BBL with linkage (not the kick-down linkage, and doesn't have the manual choke linkage/parts.
Commando 6 blade fan
Fan belt
Water pump
Radiator Hoses/clamps
Thermostat
Damper/balancer
Dip Stick
Original valve covers with original PCV valve (aftermarket breather)
Altenator (minus the heavy duty bracket I kept on the new engine)
Both Manifolds
Dual Point distributor
Coil
Plugs and wires
Center sump oil pan.

What's it worth?

nothing says priceless like havign the original engine if you ever decide to sell the car.

will also make a handy back up power plant.

Suppose I sell the car and the new buyer doesn't want the extra V8 or maybe he is (dumb) like me and diesn't understand the added value.....???

I don't think any 273 is worth much. Most of em are junk. On the other hand they do run on regular so it may be worth rebuilding.

cudajim said:
I don't think any 273 is worth much. Most of em are junk. On the other hand they do run on regular so it may be worth rebuilding.

However if it's the Formula S 273/235 horse it needs (or should have) premium. I gave $150 for a 66 Formula S 273 4 speed motor on eBNay. After machine shop finished, it still took standard rings and only 10/10 on the crank. It's going in my 65 273 2 bl 4 speed Barracuda. :toothy7:

I think it would be worth more to you or a person looking for a period correct block for a restoration than to anyone else. With all the other smallblock mopar engines available for cheap that have a lot more potential, not too many people are looking to do up a 273. One thing though, I read somewhere that the 273 holds the record for gas mileage for early engines, even outdoing the slantsix. With fuel prices rising almost hourly, there may be a new trend starting. JMO, Mike.

cudajim said:

Wow! I wasn't expecting to hear from a 273 Commando expert!

Thanks Cudajim! I don't need the Forums anymore. I'll just PM you from now on.

I still have my 273/235 Hp motor sitting on my 360 crate engine shipping stand. I understand that the wrinkle finish valve covers are worth some money but I have everything that was replaced except 7.25 rear end. I doubt I will ever put it back to original but my kids might (although I keep telling them that I want to be buried in it).

Sounds like you live close to me. If you come up with a price, let me know! If it still runs good it would save me from rebuilding mine for a while...

Flatlander said:
Keep it because once it's gone, it's gone forever.

Based on what many have said, I can't imagine spending the time or money to put the engine back in the car, and it seems like whenever I sell anything, the "extras" don't bring as much money as what selling the engine out right" would bring.

I guess it all depends on the offer. $500 won't buy it, but $5000 would get it delivered to your door step anwhere in the USA.... :joker: ....LOL (JK)

I havent been able to sell my 273 2 bbl for any price...I sold a 273 4bbl for $150. They aren't worth much.

-
Back