Another "what's the difference between"

-

mprhoodlum

Inmate
Reaction score
Anybody know what's the difference between Mopar Magnum 500 wheels and Ford Magnum 500 wheels? Can I put center caps from Mopar on a Ford rim? Are the rings any different. The Fords are probably cheaper for the same ring! Why are some chrome and others not? Can I put rings on a chrome wheel (if the chrome is shot)?
Thanks - Jim

The earlier Magnum wheels from Mopar were also all chrome, but they changed to the trim ring style in 69 or so.

The center registers are larger on the Ford wheels (if it's 15" magnum, it's DEFINITELY a Ford wheel).

The larger register upset the hubcentric feature making it somewhat easier to get the wheel mounted out-of-round if the lug holes aren't perfect. Otherwise I think the differences are strictly cosmetic.

if the wheel is chrome it is a Magnum 500 if the wheel is painted its what is known as a Road wheel, the wheels are all the same any cap/trim ring will fit. The wheels will cost you the same rather its ford or Chrysler. The trim rings and center caps are what cost a good chunk of change. I am in the process right now of turning a set of magnum 500's into road wheels, I had them chem stripped and now are painting them an argent silver, A guy on ebay sells the middle black out stencil so you get a nice clean paint inside the wheel. I picked up my new center cap assembly's from Pgclassics. I am just missing new 14" tires and trim rings.

Mopar 68 down are called magnum 500s and are all chrome and don't utilize a trim ring
Mopar 69 up are same wheel style but called a road wheel but painted instead of chrome and utilize a trim ring

Ford/Mustang Magnum 500s will fit on your Mopar

Oh okay how about this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 917
The center registers are larger on the Ford wheels (if it's 15" magnum, it's DEFINITELY a Ford wheel).

The larger register upset the hubcentric feature making it somewhat easier to get the wheel mounted out-of-round if the lug holes aren't perfect. Otherwise I think the differences are strictly cosmetic.

This is NOT true. There is no register hole on Magnum 500/road wheels.

Magnum 500 is a name used by the wheel manufacturer/OEM supplier to Chrysler- Motor Wheel. They were offered with this name in the aftermarket.

I have 14x7 and 15x7 ford "Magnums" and they work just fine on all my cars including the 14" on 5th Ave slider disks.

The centers are in fact the same between the Motor Wheel version, the Chrysler version and SOME fomoco versions, although there is a fomoco version that is much shallower (and much cheaper) that will NOT clear the front hub bearing on Mopars. The only difference on the taller center is the sticker.

The info about chrome outer rims is correct, Mopar offered chrome until 1968 IIRC, then switched to a trim ring.

I believe it is also correct that Mopar never offered a 15 in chrome (and possibly not at all).

On the 14x6, the only diff between all three is the pentastar logo or lack therof.

Years ago I purchased a set of 15" ford magnums that were off a friends wrecked mustang and the center hole was smaller and wouldnt fit over the hub center of my Challengers disc brakes. That would be what I would look out for when buying the ford wheels.

Well. I put a wanted ad on craigslist for Magnum 500 wheels. Last night a man called me up and said he had some.We talked briefly like we were old friends. Then he wanted to know what I was going to put them on. I explained that I had a Barracuda that I was changing from 4" to 4.5". Well, damned if he didn't have a set of Cragar SS mags w/ 4" BP.
I went there today and drove home with 5 road wheels with four excellent 215/70/14 tires, 4 magnum 500 wheels (3 in really nice shape)and 3 nice center caps. The road wheels are black outside with perfect Ford center caps.
The magnums are 6" and 6.5". All wheels are 14". I'm going to paint a road wheel silver and buy some trim rings to decide which wheel I like best. I'm pretty sure my preference will be the chrome 500's with raised white letter Goodrich Radial TA's, if they're still available in 14".
Does anybody know about the 1/2" different widths on the rims? Also, which width trim ring goes with these? Do you prefer the chrome or stainless steel? Were any of the Chrysler road wheels painted black on the outside rim? Was Ford painted black?

Years ago I purchased a set of 15" ford magnums that were off a friends wrecked mustang and the center hole was smaller and wouldnt fit over the hub center of my Challengers disc brakes. That would be what I would look out for when buying the ford wheels.

I was trying to find a way to rebuff you, but IIRC you are correct- there were two different size center opinings.

Not the "register" that everyone knows is on a plain steel wheel, but the actual hole for the center cap on a Magnum 500 style wheel.

In the ford catalogs they list center caps for two different size holes.

My theory os that if the wheels have the same center cap as Mopar wheels, you are probably OK.
If they have the shallower "push-in" style cap---better check the hole diameter.

Hey again! - I got one of the 500's cleaned and painted today. One of these days I'm going to learn how to post pic's. I know I need to resize........but I'm rambling.
I bought 2 Mopar center caps from ebay this week. They were advertised as "very rare" and "hard to find". Must not have been too rare I was the only one that bid and got them for 6.49. They have the stick in medallion "Limited Edition". Anybody know anything about them, or where I could get two more medallions. They are black with chrome looking lettering. Very cool looking, indeed!
Thanks again - Jim

so the 15" style is FOmoco? local is trying to move 6 15x6 magnums cheap- would there be a problem with these on a 4.5 bot circle car? thanks Lawrence

They are probably OK.

Double check that bolt pattern. There are chevy pattern 4.75 and 5" Magnums floating around s well. I bought 2 at a swap meet, that the guy assured me were ford/Mopar pattern, but they weren't. I'm glad I only paid $20 for the pair. They had centers, which I can use, and I can probably get my $20 back as well from a chevy guy.

Also double check that center cap style/hole size as indicated above.

...and I saw those "LE" caps on ebay.

Glad they went to a good home.

Anybody know what's the difference between Mopar Magnum 500 wheels and Ford Magnum 500 wheels? Can I put center caps from Mopar on a Ford rim? Are the rings any different. The Fords are probably cheaper for the same ring! Why are some chrome and others not? Can I put rings on a chrome wheel (if the chrome is shot)?
Thanks - Jim
Most of the cap holes on all vintage ford/chrysler/ and aftermarket 500's are 2"-1/8 And the factory ford 500's rims have a smaller hub hole 'if your thinking about putting the vintage ford 500's on your mopar' they can fit on the back with a 1/4 spacer but they will not fit on the front of a standard BBP A -body 73-76 disc brake rotor 'not unless you shave about 1/8th inch off the bottom of bearing hub 'never done it 'so could be 1/16th for all i know? all aftermarket Magnum 500's 5 lug 4'1/2 are universal fit on the hub thing, As far as cap's 'i fit cal customs on my vintage ford 500's, And i will fake the front cap's with scott drake pony caps D1zz-1130-gr, and black out the center 'So basicly' i found 4- ford 15'-7 mag 500's on craigslist 'and they"re only good for the rear on my dodge A-body, The other 2 rim's i'm giving away to another mopar guy' I'm still waiting for my 15-'6 wheel vintiques 500's for the front, But? over-all The 15" Magnum 500's look's top notch on a A body

Last edited:
-
Back