another wheel and tire fitment thread question

-

68cuda78

Reaction score
Ok here is the situation I have a 72 dusted with a 8 1/4 rear believe to be from a 73 duster. It has14 x5.5 rally wheels with 4 inch backspace and 235 60 14 . The tire is only about half inch from hitting springs. I have seen a lot of threads with dusters fitting a 275 60 on without spring relocation. What backspace are u using and also I wanna run a 15 tire with 7 or 8 inch wheel. Springs are in stock location. How wide of tire should I be able fit with what size rim and backspace. Thanks

Here is what I'm running-

Stock 8 3/4 A body rear
Cooper Cobra 275/60R15
Crager SS 15x8 4.25" backspace
Espo +1" leaf springs
3/8" clearance to springs in stock location.

Get a slight rub occasionally, with multiple passengers, heavy duty bumps, and steep driveway entrances, but don't see any witness marks on tires, wheel wells or springs, so don't know where they rub.

Fronts are 14x7 Crager SS 4.125 backspace with Cooper Cobra 225/70R14

I have a duster with 15 x 8 ralleys on the rear with 4 1/4 B.S. and run a 275 60 15 tire.

Attachments

• my duster 159 (Medium).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 071.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 162
Here is what I'm running-

Stock 8 3/4 A body rear
Cooper Cobra 275/60R15
Crager SS 15x8 4.25" backspace
Espo +1" leaf springs
3/8" clearance to springs in stock location.

Get a slight rub occasionally, with multiple passengers, heavy duty bumps, and steep driveway entrances, but don't see any witness marks on tires, wheel wells or springs, so don't know where they rub.

Fronts are 14x7 Crager SS 4.125 backspace with Cooper Cobra 225/70R14

Thats the size I wanna run just dont wanna make a mistake

I do not know that measurement off hand, but I have a stock 8 3/4 A body rear end. If both you guys have 3/8 to 1/2 inch of cleareance from the leaf springs, that should be plenty. Thats about what I have as well, but I have never had any rubbing. I would have to look else where for somthing making that noise, ( rubbing sound) Maybe you are rubbing the wheel tub itself with passengers in the car. Your car probably sits a bit lower than mine, as I have superstock springs installed.

I would have to look else where for somthing making that noise, ( rubbing sound) Maybe you are rubbing the wheel tub itself with passengers in the car. Your car probably sits a bit lower than mine, as I have superstock springs installed.

More of a bump than a rubbing sound, could very well be the pinion snubber.
Really not a big deal and no visible wear on the tires,so I haven't tried too hard to chase it down.
I would think an 8 3/4 and 8 1/4 for an A Body would be the same length drum to drum but it wouldn't hurt to confirm that.

To the OP- I searched and started multiple threads trying to get an answer, so I know the feeling. Lots of people said 275's fit their Dusters, then went on to add that they had non-stock axles, relocated springs, or custom backspaced wheels. :banghead:

Seemed like I couldn't get a straight answer.I finally just got on Summit for exact tire specs, did the math, and took the leap.

well like I said, my rear is stock, with stock small bolt axels, and no spacers, and 275's fit just fine as you can see. Ya, it could very well be your pinion snubber. Is it an adjustable one, or a stock one ? thats a great looking duster by the way !!!

-
Back