Another where does this part go

-

duster360

Reaction score
I dropped the steering column and this piece fell out. I can’t remember exactly where it goes.

E7E8B57C-DA92-423A-B8AB-7FFCFA8F6D91.jpeg

im guessing someone broke their column's plastic mounting spacers and replaced it with that shim. there's probably 2 more just like it on the other 2 bolts.

Typically these are body shims, used on fenders and such to shim them out for fitment. However back in the day these were used on the steering column bolts to help move the steering column down. I know a little old lady who had 2-3 of them on each side to move the wheel down so she didn't have to reach so high to turn the car.

Things the dealer did back in the day....

Riddler

It is a body shim, but used "as required" to level the steering column.....check your shop manual.

IMG_3329.JPG

Interesting- that shim location shown on the back of the bracket ( closest to the firewall) is a bracket that hangs from the swing pedal support. It is adjustable. So shimming in this area only shows laziness on one's part by not properly adjusting the bracket.

Thanks for the info people. I will be sure to check and see if it really need to be when putting the column back in.

-
Back