another wiper problem

-

player1up

Reaction score
Help I have intermittent wipers but I'm not supposed to :(

When I turn the wipers on sometimes they will work. If I turn them on and they don't work, I have to tap on the motor to get it working. wiggling the wires at the motor or switch has no effect.

I have taken the motor apart and cleaned the armature and the brushes.
Is this a bad ground? if so where does the wiper motor get its ground from? I have the diagram and I know what brush grounds to the body of the motor but does the body of the motor have a ground strap that should go to the body of the car?

My '70 has a ground strap between the wiper motor and heater blower motor in the engine compartment.

Perhaps the switch itself is failing? If it's a 3 speed motor I understand the switch needs a good ground.

No go when wiggling wire or switch. Sounds to me like you still have a problem within the wiper motor itself. If you tap it and it works...it must be helping the field grab to start the rotation. If the switch is turned on with no rotation and you move the blades by hand I would guess it would grab? Make sure there's good pressure from the brushes on the ammiture. I think some motors have an exturnal ground but not all. As you stated, you wiggled the wire with no change until you hit the motor so I don't think it's a gound...but again I could be wrong.

ok, sorry, it is a 3 speed motor, and it does have a ground connected to one of the bolts that hold it to the firewall but the holes in the housing have rubber insulators. I'm not sure how it could be getting a ground from there. The armature looks good ie no burnt spots and it wont "catch" if you move the wiper arms by hand.
I wonder if I made the problem worse when I took the butt end off of the motor (2 long aluminum screws) and painted it. I painted the end of it where it touches the reduction gear housing, does the main motor housing have to be grounded to the rest of it?
oh, and it also works if I "push" in on the motor. I'll be playing with it tonight ( the wiper motor that is) and I'll post what I did wrong :) . The problem is that it will work for a few minutes while I'm testing it, but when I need it, it's dead. :(

i had a problem with my wipers before, they would stop at the most in opprotune times, like the middle of a rainstorm driving through town...

they would start up again if I bumped the motor or the wiper arms.

i solved it by screwing the 3 mounting bolts (the ones with the rubber bumpers) for the wiper in a bit, i guess they loosened up a bit and they were binding up the linkages.

dunno for sure but they have not stopped since except for those odd times I get the switch in between settings.

That's so funny draggin, I was in the middle of doing this SAME thing last night when you posted although i didn't see it til this morning. All I did was tighten the 3 mounting nuts like you said and all is good! I must have left mine a little lose when I had it out to paint. Thanks

-
Back