Antifreeze questions ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've got a few questions about what antifreeze I should be using in 2 of my rides. The first is a SB mopar with iron block& heads and an aluminum radiator (what color/type antifreeze should be in it )?
The second is a 2.5 mopar 4cyl with iron block & aluminum head and a aluminum radiator (color type)
Or does it really make a difference ?????

Just use regular green. I run havoline or prestone in my 340 with iron block alum. Heads.
Whatever you do, do not use orange/dexcool , been rumored to cause corrosion when used in systems that the coolant comes in contact with aluminum.
Just run the green and mix 50-50 or buy the pre-diluted 50-50 mix

It's not a rumor about the dexcool, it does et up everything. My GM pickup started leaking while under warranty and the dealer fixed it and took out the dexcool.

Regular old green is what I use, but try to change it out every two years for best protection.

EVANS waterless coolant would be my best recommendation for almost every car out there. It will not boil so it won't puke out all over. You can remove the radiator cap even when it's hot and it won't turn into a geyser. It will not cause corrosion like other coolant mixtures do. It NEVER needs to be changed. But it's pretty pricey. It ran me 42.50 per gallon. You do not dilute it with water, you run only it. In the long run it will save you money because it never needs changing. It doesn't break down and fill your block with sediment. If you've ever had a car at a drag strip that got warm and started pushing antifreeze out the overflow and onto the track you'll appreciate the fact that this doesn't boil. It won't make you run any cooler but because it doesn't turn to steam you shouldn't ever see super hot extremes. (once your coolant boils, that steam is much hotter and incapable of exchanging heat as well)

I've got a few questions about what antifreeze I should be using in 2 of my rides. The first is a SB mopar with iron block& heads and an aluminum radiator (what color/type antifreeze should be in it )?
The second is a 2.5 mopar 4cyl with iron block & aluminum head and a aluminum radiator (color type)
Or does it really make a difference ?????

I use the Green Auto Zone stuff. I buy the straight stuff. Last winter I used a straight mix with just a little distilled water. Then come better weather I flushed it out and did a 60/40 mix. The Auto Zone green has protected mine just fine. I have a Champion 4 core radiator.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ"]Waterless Engine Coolant - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back